Join now - be part of our community!

(Vaio PCG-C1MHP) Wipe hard drive and install Linux, without logging in

profile.country.en_GB.title
tristanojbacon
Visitor

(Vaio PCG-C1MHP) Wipe hard drive and install Linux, without logging in

Hello everyone,

I was given an old netbook by a friend of ours, to sell on eBay. However, he couldn't remember the password, and had set a password for the Administrator account, which he forgot as well (not very helpful).

I've tried using tools like Ophcrack (I think that's what it's called, anyway.), but have got nowhere.

Obviously, there is no DVD drive, which makes things complicated (though the BIOS seems to think there is one), and although there is a floppy disk drive, I haven't had any disks for many years now! I will see if I can find one in the little computer shop in my town, just in case.

In the meantime however, I'd like to get this sorted asap!

Basically, I'd like to either reset the password and restore the installation to factory settings, or just install Linux. At the moment, I've been trying to install Linux via USB, but this netbook doesn't seem to want to recognise the fact that it's even there. I have changed the BIOS settings to check for Removable Devices first, and put the HDD at the very bottom. Disabling booting from the HDD gives a 'No Operating System found' error in startup. That doesn't work.

I've formatted a 4GB USB stick of mine, and installed Ubuntu (the newest version, I think) using both 'uNet Bootin' and 'Universal USB Installer', neither of which worked.

I also tried selecting the Removable Devices option on startup, by pressing Escape and selecting it from the list of boot devices.

Note: the boot devices shown on the list are: Removable Devices, CD Drive, Network Boot and Hard Disk Drive.

I will attempt the floppy disk route if I can find a floppy disk tomorrow. I have a USB floppy disk drive that I can plug into my actual laptop, and I'll put muLinux onto it, which is apparently made specifically for floppy disks. (The OS is only 1.4MB, I believe)

Any suggestions? I'd love to get this sorted!

Thanks very much,

Tristan

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tristan.

If you download the manual from here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/C1/C1MHP/C1MHP_H_UK.pdf

You will see that it came with a dedicated DVD drive which connects to the iLink port and the dedicated power socket next to the iLink socket.  You will also see that you need the Product Recovery CD-ROMs to return the Vaio to factory settings.

Most older Vaios will boot from USB but only when using a USB Floppy Disc Drive so this may be worth trying with. Linux

The external DVD (PCGA-DVD1) drive may turn up on eBay - it is a bit costly to buy: -

http://www.impactcomputers.com/pcga-dvd1.html

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Found a PCGA-DVD1 on eBay - £5.00 with 4 days to go!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=pcga-dvd1&clk_rvr_id=329618775044&keyword=pcga-dvd1&geo_id=321...

It seems to have the correct dedicated Sony iLink + Power lead.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
tristanojbacon
Visitor

Wow, that was a quick response!

That's annoying - he originally gave me a bag of electronic stuff he cleared out, and I remember there being a weird CD drive that I didn't give a second glance, and put in the 'not sellable' pile. I also remember there being a recovery CD, which I think I may have kept. I'll check tomorrow, but I'm not positive that I still have it...

Ok, so it doesn't boot from a USB memory stick. I do have the USB Floppy Drive. Problem is, will Windows need to officially recognise the device after startup? I can't see anything there about Plug and Play, though I don't think that is relevant to this situation.

The same goes for the CD Drive you so knidly found - would it not need to be installed in some way first? Because I can't even get beyond the Log In section.