Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio pocket with Clarion FM modulator FM201: background noise !

zarlord
Visitor

Vaio pocket with Clarion FM modulator FM201: background noise !

Hello,

As my car stereo does not have an auxiliary input (line in), I have purchased a Clarion wired FM modulator (FM201) which works perfectly with my Philips Expanium EXP101 CD player.

Recently, I bought the Sony Vaio Pocket 40GB and when I connect its line output to the input of my FM Modulator, the sound is pretty bad: there is a lot of background noise (just like a CB without the squelch or similar to a 'pink noise'). Same pb if I use the earphone output.

However, the line output of the Vaio works fine if connected to an auxiliary input of my home A/V amplifier.

Also I noticed the following:
- Philips Expanium CD Player connected the FM modulator without playing any track ----> no background noise.

- Sony Vaio Pocket connected to the FM modulator without playing any track ----> there is this background noise.

Has anyone experienced this problem ?
Anyone successfully using a wired FM Modulator with a VGF-AP1L ?

Thanks for your help &
Best regards.

9 REPLIES 9
the_real_gazza
Visitor

I have an FM Modulator in my car and have wired my VP into it. I think what you are seeing is the high frequency noise that the hard drive emits being picked up on your system. Ensure you are using screened leads and that the jack plug is pushed home properly.

The unit I use was bought from Maplin and only cost £19.99 (although now are £29.99) and works fine. Have you tried taking the cradle into your car and wirinig the line out socket from the cradle to the modulator?

This is how I use my VP when mobile, and you will not need to use an external power supply, as the VP battery supply will still power the cradle. plus the VP is held securely.

zarlord
Visitor

Thanks for your answer.

- The jack was inserted properly and I tried with the VP cradle like you said (not externally powered) and I had the same issue...

- What do you mean by 'screened leads' ?

Hornby
Visitor

You could just buy a stereo head-unit with an AUX in socket :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

the_real_gazza
Visitor

Thanks for your answer.

- The jack was inserted properly and I tried with the VP cradle like you said (not externally powered) and I had the same issue...

- What do you mean by 'screened leads' ?

I am refering to the hook up cables, which should connect from the 3.5mm jack socket to 3.5mm jack or RCA connectors. Each cable has a central wire covered in a spiral wrapped braided cable. The central wire carries the signal and the screen is connected to 0V (common) to shield the signal from electrical interference. Screened cable is used for audio signals and dual versions are available for stereo.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

I spent a lot of money on two different makes of FM transmitter but had the same problem of static noise etc.

In the end I bought one of these for £1 and have to say it is the better one despite its cheap price. Because it uses its own power source it doesn't drain my iPod as the other two do - the batteries do go flat quite quickly though.

zarlord
Visitor

Hi all and thanks for your help and suggestions.

Finally, I trashed my car stereo and Clarion FM Modulator and replaced all that by a nice Blaupunkt Calgary MP35 with the optional AUX cable that fits directly into the VP line out plug.
It works perfectly now (no more background noise) and I was able to keep the original stearing-wheel remote control using an optional adapter from Blaupunkt.
They have lots of different interfaces for any car. If you are interested, check:

http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/accessories_96.asp

Best regards.

zarlord
Visitor

Finally, I trashed my car stereo and Clarion FM Modulator and replaced all that by a nice Blaupunkt Calgary MP35 with the optional AUX cable that fits directly into the VP line out plug.
It works perfectly now (no more background noise) and I was able to keep the original stearing-wheel remote control using an optional adapter from Blaupunkt.
They have lots of different interfaces for any car. If you are interested, check:

Best regards.

zarlord
Visitor

Best regards.

zarlord
Visitor

Best regards.