Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO processor upgrade chipset question

CilWilcox
New

VAIO processor upgrade chipset question

Hello,

My computer is slowing down drastically. The processor is getting very hot very quickly and I'm looking to swap things out.

Information: 
GM45 Intel Mobile Chipset.
Windows 7.
4 GB RAM (only two available to the system).
Not sure how big my harddrive is, but it's mechanical.

I'm looking to upgrade the processor to a QX9300 or an X9100 because of the higher speeds and upgrading my RAM to 8GB. I'm also planning to install Linux to decrease the amount of power the OS takes.

Is all of this possible and if so how do I go about doing so? Will I need drivers for each part upgrade or will I need a firmware update to ensure the hardware works before I put it in? Does my chipset support a 64 bit OS (so as to get the full power of the RAM upgrade available to the system) ? thanks for any help you can give me.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What model Vaio do you have?  We need more information so we will need to look at the specifications.

:thinking:

CilWilcox
New

Hi, I have a VGN-NS30E sony Vaio. It's old, about four years. 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Your VGN-NS30E has an Intel Dual Core T4200 Santa Rosa/Penryn processor and this fits into a 478 pin Socket P.  You can only upgrade to another Socket-P processor.

In theory you could upgrade to a Core 2 Duo Processor (T5x, T6x, T7x, T8x, or T9x Series) or a Penryn Core 2 Quad (QX9x).  The Quad consumes 45w and would certainly overheat. 

Personally, I don't think an upgrade to (say) a T9 would be worth the cost as the laptop is a few years old now.

Upgrading the RAM and cleaning out the air vents are probably the most effective improvements.  If your Vaio is overheating now, try cleaning the air vents and the fan as a surprising amount of sticky dust can get in there and cause the problem.

If it still gets a bit hot, try replacing the thermal paste under the processor.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry, forgot to say your Vaio should take 8GB of RAM (2 X 4GB).

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGN-NS30E%20Series&Cat=RAM

Your existing T4200 processor supports 64-bit processing and Sony provides 64-bit drivers for Windows 7. 

Sony does not support Linux at all and you will be on your own if you choose to install it - try the Linux or Ubuntu websites

:smileyconfused:.

CilWilcox
New

I will try the linux forums and all of what you just said. Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
jhonybone
New

I have  VGN-FW41E  processor Dual Cor T6400 ... Can I  upgrade it To processor i3  ? 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No, you can only upgrade to another 'Socket P' processor as stated in the posts above.