Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Recovery Disks

spookie
Visitor

Vaio Recovery Disks

I've been trying to create my recovery disks but I'm having problems.

The Application Recovery Disk was made no problem, but when I try to make a Sysyem Recovery Disk, it stalls at the same place every time (on 48%)

It then asks me to throw away the disk that wouldn't work, then re-start & then try all over again.

I've done this several times now, but it keeps on happening.

Anyone got any advice on this ?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi spookie and welcome to Club Vaio.

Difficult to diagnose the exact problem but several other members have had success by trying a different make of DVD and using DVD+R instead of DVD-R discs.

Verbatum and TDK seem to be recommended.

Make sure all other programs are closed before trying to make your discs.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi spookie, welcome to the forum.

Some models have a Recovery Utility Update that addresses the failure to burn the second disk. Have you checked for any updates on Vaio-Link?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Resonate
Visitor

I Had same problem tried every disk going then finally god himself came being a SONY Disc of all & worked first time no problems:smileygrin:

spookie
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the Sony DVD+R 4.7GB discs, i'm out of them now, I'll get some other ones tomorrow & hope that helps.

spookie
Visitor

I'll check for updates & a recovery utility update too.

spookie
Visitor

My Vaio is a VGN-S4HP model, been on the drivers upates page, can't really find anything there.

Could it be anything to do with this windows service pack 2 thing ? I don't think I have that.

Should I download it, would that help maybe ?

spookie
Visitor

Actually, I think my laptop does have service pack 2 . . . Does anyone know ?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Actually, I think my laptop does have service pack 2 . . . Does anyone know  ?

That model should have Windows XP Professional with SP2.

There is a firmware update for the MATSHITA UJ832 optical drive. There are no details as to what problems this addresses but if you have this drive then it may be worth a try.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
spookie
Visitor

There is a firmware update for the MATSHITA UJ832 optical drive. There are no details as to what problems this addresses but if you have this drive then it may be worth a try.

Thanks again Rich, I'll try that.