Join now - be part of our community!

vaio start up problem

vaio start up problem

Hi

have a problem starting my vaio ar71 when it's up and running if i press restart it's fine shuts down and starts up as normal but if i shut down or put into sleep mode then leave for a few hours on pressing the start button LED lihts come on there is power to the usb ports but no fans or drive sounds and no screen, if i disconect all power and hold power button in for 60secs still the same thin happens but if i leave it with LEDs on for 15mins or so then unplug and hold power button 60secs then reconnect and press power button she fires.

up any ideas what could be causing this .

it happens both with and without the battery connected

john

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi John,

I suspect, and I must emphasise that this a guess based on the information you have provided, that you have a graphics card connection problem. I base this on the fact that all seems to work OK when the machine is warm but once cooled the problem starts. This would possibly indicate that the solder connections on the graphics chip to motherboard are dry/failing – I have seen reports of this on the same and similar VGN-AR models.

If this is the case a ‘reflow’ of the solder should cure the problem. If you Google this (VGN-AR graphics reflow or just graphics chip reflow) you will find plenty of companies offering this service. I suggest that you go for one that offers a fix or no fee option – cost should be approx. £100+. You will also find plenty of DIY solutions but I suggest you avoid these like the plague unless you are in need of a doorstop.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

thank you for your swift reply that seems like a logical answer it's the first time i've heard of this, thankyou i'll follow that up and see how i get on

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome John. Please let us know how you get on.

Rich 

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat