Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio TX1 and Dell 2405WFP - Help needed

abeditions
Visitor

Vaio TX1 and Dell 2405WFP - Help needed

Hi,
I just bought the wide Dell screen 24'. It works fine with my Vaio Tx1 but the maximum resolution I have is 1600 x 1200. I cannot manage to have 1920 x 1200. Anyone knows how to get resolutions above 1600 x 1200 ? It looks that the chipset "Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family" allows high resolutions so I don't understand why it is not in the list...
Any idea ?
-marc-

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

There is an misunderstanding.

The chipset supports HighDefinitionAudio. But sadly, the resolution is limited to 1600x1200.

abeditions
Visitor

I can't believe that chipset supports 1600 x 1200 in 32bits and not 1920 x 1200. That must be a driver issue.
Where did you read about this ?

abeditions
Visitor

I found this :
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/CS-012579.htm
It looks this chipset is supposed to support 2048x1536 at 85 Hz...

abeditions
Visitor

I got a response from Intel. The card is capable of showing 1900 x 1200. Now, how to do it ? That is the question ...
--------------------------
Hello Marc,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

14.x drivers will support just about any video modes (within reason) that the Monitor's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) claims to support, as well as modes defined within the Video BIOS Table (VBT), plus a basic set of static modes (mostly for monitors with no EDID): 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1600x1200.

I suggest installing the latest monitor drivers and making sure that all the operating system settings for possible video modes are enabled.

Please be aware that selecting a video mode that cannot be displayed correctly may lead to monitor damage or a display that is unusable.

You may find this setting in the Graphics properties:

Start > Settings > Control Panels > Switch to Classic View > Display > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > List all modes

Check also in the "Monitor" tab, the option "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". If the mode that you want is there and the monitor documentation clearly states it is supported, then go ahead and choose it. Again, if you force video modes that are not supported by the monitor, damage can be caused to it.

NOTE: In order for all resolutions to be available, the monitor drivers need to be loaded. To check this, go to device manager and click on monitors. If it states "Plug and Play Monitor", then no monitor drivers are installed. Contact the monitor manufacturer in order to obtain the .INF file to update the driver. Once you have the .INF, right click on "Plug and Play Monitor" and choose: Update driver..."

If this makes no difference, please visit your motherboard manufacturer or system vendor's webpage and download the latest BIOS update. Installing this will update your VBIOS as well and should facilitate interaction between the graphics controller hardware and the latest drivers. Also, make sure that you have the latest monitor drivers installed. After this is done, please reinstall the latest drivers for your graphics controller, which can be found at this webpage:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=1764

Make sure to read the "Read Me" document that comes with the drivers prior to installation. The latest version of the Intel(R) 82915G Express Chipset Family reference drivers is PV14.18.

If the issue persists, you will need to contact both your laptop and external monitor manufacturers for additional information and troubleshooting assistance.

William
Visitor

Assuming your new Dell monitor is EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) is it correctly identified in Device Manager.

ie Have you loaded the inf file for the monitor.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Also if your screen can only handle 1600x1200 it can't do more, nevermind if the chipset can

abeditions
Visitor

Yes, I use the inf file of the monitor.
I even tried PowerStrip (http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/powerstrip.html) but I am unable to select a resolution above 1600 x 1200

abeditions
Visitor

Dell 2405WFP is a tft 1920 x 1200 (16/9 screen). 1600 x 1200 is working fine but I miss the 16/9 resolution.