Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGN-B1VP with Linux

profile.country.tr_TR.title
eray.atil
Visitor

VAIO VGN-B1VP with Linux

Can My VAIO run with Linux (without)? How to do this installation? Please help me.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Why have you put without in brackets, I am a little confused?

profile.country.tr_TR.title
eray.atil
Visitor

Oh, sorry It means (without problems). Bye :slight_smile:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

For most Linux versions (Mandrake, SuSE, Debian, etc.) are Live-CDs available.

They are free to download and work without to install. Just boot from Live-CD and you have a working Linux. That's a simple way to test compatibility.

hans2
Visitor

On the VGN A617B you can run Linux-Live-CDS, but you can't install Linux, because the Harddisk isn't Linux-compatible.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

On the VGN A617B you can run Linux-Live-CDS, but you can't install Linux, because the Harddisk isn't Linux-compatible.

?????

Hwo told you that?
Did you tried to install without ACPI or just in Safe Mode?
Maybe it's because it's an sATA drive and needed driver wasn't included.
BTW, Linux isn't = Linux. SuSE could be more compatible than Debian at first install. Or the opposite.

kee-lo_

I agree with Seb, try a Live CD which you pop into your DVD drive before booting then you can see which Linux suits you and the VAIO

hans2
Visitor

?????

Hwo told you that?
Did you tried to install without ACPI or just in Safe Mode?
Maybe it's because it's an sATA drive and needed driver wasn't included.
BTW, Linux isn't = Linux. SuSE could be more compatible than Debian at first install. Or the opposite.

I tried with SuSE 9.3, SuSE 10.1 and Ubuntu 6.06 to install and it all failed at the point, where they tried to mount HD-Partitions. When I tried to mount HD-Parttions with Knoppix it also failed.

Live-CDs run all good.

Ich habe vergeblich versucht Linux mit SuSE 9.3, 10.1 und Ubuntu 6.06 zu installieren. Sie alle haben dort gehakt, wo sie die Festplattenpartitionen mounten wollten. Als ich eine Partition testweise mit Knoppix mounten wollte, hat das auch nicht funktioniert.

Die SuSE und Knoppix Live-CDs liefen ansonsten aber gut.

Hans

kee-lo_

This could be well due to the hidden recovery partition

hans2
Visitor

This could be well due to the hidden recovery partition

Thank you for the tip, but no, without the partition the problem stays.

Hans