Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-SZ2XP/C video card?

kweckduck
Visitor

Vaio VGN-SZ2XP/C video card?

Hey,

I am just wondering what the deal is here with the video card in my Vaio notebook.

I recently ran into some trouble when I bought a game and tried to run it (Battlefield 2142). I look into it and find that there is an error with the original version and they brought ought an update. I download several updates, but none help.

Then I read the video card might be trouble. So I look on the notebook sticker where it says (and I actually remembered something similar from buying the notebook): NVIDIA Go 7400 TurboCache 128MB
I charge off to find the latest driver for that card, download it and try to install it. Oddly enough it says it can't find the right hardware for this driver. At this point I get confused.

First I look into the system settings for my video card and notice the card is called the following: Mobile Intel(R) 945M Express Chipset ...
Nothing about any NVIDIA card / Driver.
I get even more confused.
So I google the page that has all the drivers for my notebook and I can't seem to find any drivers for an NVIDIA card.

The odd thing is I remember seeing an NVIDIA tab in my video settings and being able to play Battlefield 2 before. But when I now install Battlefield 2, it gives me the same problem as Battlefield 2142 (which is that I start it, get a black screen for a few seconds and get back to the desktop).

Could anyone care to explain how all this is supposed to make any sense ???

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kweckduck,

welcome to Club vaio.. :slight_smile:

Your SZ2XP/C has two graphics chips..

When your Vaio is in Stamina mode it uses the Intel 945M Express Chip and when in performance mode the NVIDIA Go 7400 is used..

To select performance mode move the switch near your screen to speed..

kweckduck
Visitor

Waow that is interesting to know, I'll be sure to fool around with that when I get home. Thanks for the info.

In the meantime, Im pretty sure Im in performance mode all the time. What then? Something in the settings I need to change ?
Also I just reinstalled my notebook with vista, and vista is very unfamiliar to me still and uncomfortable compared to the old windows versions, where would I find the setup regarding the settings of stamina and performance mode ?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kweckduck,

When you upgraded your SZ2Xp to Vista did you install all of the Sony Vista Drivers and Utilities from HERE ..?

Also you may find this Installation order of Vista drivers and utilities of interest.. :wink:

kweckduck
Visitor

Hey yeah, thanks man.

The switch WAS set to stamina after all. Must have been space aliens that did that. So the right video card showed up in the hardware-management, but when I try to install the latest drivers (either by selecting the path or running the exe file) it still doesnt work.

I ran some of those vista drivers, but how important is the order ? For instance I downloaded the BIOS one after all the other ones, and still havent installed it really ? Should I now install the BIOS and then do the others again, or should it be ok if I should run the BIOS one ?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kweckduck,

if the correct video driver is displayed in device manager and your Vaio is running ok then I wouldn't worry about installing the BIOS update.. :wink: