Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-T2XP driver install for a newbie

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Steve755
Visitor

Vaio VGN-T2XP driver install for a newbie

My treasured VGN-T2XP has suffered a hard drive failure and so I have fitted a new drive. I bought the laptop second hand and never got any recovery discs or OS installation discs.

I have installed XP pro from a disc I already had and downloaded the "originally installed" drivers bundle from the Sony support site, but how do I install them? The WirelessLAN driver was easy as it had a .exe but some of the others (like video, chipset etc.) are beyond me. I'm stuck with a screen resolution of 1024x768 with the default driver for the display.

I'm a relative amature at computing so I'm hoping you guys can sort me out???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Below is a guide for XP to installing drivers that have an INF file instead of an EXE in the driver package.

1. Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.
  2. Click Start > Control Panel.
  3. Double-click the System icon. Note: Select Switch to classic view if the system icon is not visible.
  4. Click the Hardware tab.
  5. Click Device Manager.
  6. Click the + symbol in front Device Category to expand the section, or look for a device that has a yellow warning symbol indicating that drivers have not been installed.
  7. Right-click the Device and click Properties.
  8. Click the Driver tab.
  9. Click Update Driver.
  10. Click No, not this time and click Next.
  11. Click Install from a list or specified location and click Next.
  12. Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install and click Next.
  13. Click Have Disk....
  14. Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.
  15. Click OK.
  16. Click Next.
  17. Click Finish.
  18. Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Below is a guide for XP to installing drivers that have an INF file instead of an EXE in the driver package.

1. Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.
  2. Click Start > Control Panel.
  3. Double-click the System icon. Note: Select Switch to classic view if the system icon is not visible.
  4. Click the Hardware tab.
  5. Click Device Manager.
  6. Click the + symbol in front Device Category to expand the section, or look for a device that has a yellow warning symbol indicating that drivers have not been installed.
  7. Right-click the Device and click Properties.
  8. Click the Driver tab.
  9. Click Update Driver.
  10. Click No, not this time and click Next.
  11. Click Install from a list or specified location and click Next.
  12. Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install and click Next.
  13. Click Have Disk....
  14. Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.
  15. Click OK.
  16. Click Next.
  17. Click Finish.
  18. Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That will almost certainly be the MemoryStick Slot which needs the Texas Instruments FlashMedia driver.

You can find this in the Original Drivers Package -> MemoryStick and use the above method to point to TIFMSony.INF

:wink:

Steve755
Visitor

Cheers Rich, this worked a treat. I now have a full screen of desktop :slight_smile:

I still have one yellow question mark against "Mass Storage Controller" in Device Manager. I have tried all the obvious drivers in turn from the Sony download package but none seem to be accepted as suitable. Do you have any suggestion for this? Can I get the driver for this from elsewhere?

screen shot.JPG

Steve755
Visitor

Thanks, that worked a treat.

Rich912 and Blencogo.......you're both Hero's of my day!   Many thanks, Steve.  :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome Steve :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat