Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VPCCW1X5E - Digital / Grainy display

Vaio VPCCW1X5E - Digital / Grainy display

I have just taken ownership of a brand new Sony Vaio Laptop.

I am finding the display somewhat distracting compared to my older Asus notebook's and my desktop PC with it's Samsung TFT display.

The reason being it looks very 'digitally'. By this I mean gradients look dotty and compressed rather than clear and vivid.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Stuart and welcome.

Have you checked the screen resolution and colour settings?

Right click a blank area of the desktop and select ‘Personalize’. Then Click ‘Display Settings’.

Make sure that resolution is set to the native value for your model (not sure what this should be, but generally ‘highest’) and that ‘Colors’ is ‘Highest (32 bit)’.

If that has no effect then have a look in Device Manager under ‘Display Adaptors’ to make sure that the correct adaptor for your model is listed and that there are no warning symbols.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked these settings.

Set to native 1366x768 at 32-bit Colour Depth.

Nvidia drivers installed.

Played with digital vibrance and the brightness, which leaves colours looking very flat, but the 'noisey digital' look is reduced.

Think it's just the display maybe being very bright at it's brightest setting and is better. Not sure if I'll get used to it though. Saw one in the Sony shop in Cambridge too, and displayed the same 'feature'...

Any other ideas would be appreciated, or if anyone else has noticed this with theres?

Cheers again.

Stoo

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Stoo,

As you have viewed an identical machine that has the same characteristics this may be typical for this model.

Sony displays are generally regarded as one of the best and I, for one, agree. If you are not satisfied then you have the right, under the sale of goods act, to return it within a reasonable period of time.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Amidst my festive shopping I noticed the CW laptop I have in John Lewis, and they were the ONLY laptops not to have a power cable in them to show off their features...

Wonder if they're aware of something we are not?

I asked the guy in the Sony shop and he couldn't understand what I meant. In hindsight, looking at different Vaio model's and other manufacturers it's like some displays have a filter (maybe even driven through software/drivers)

As the display is ultra bright I tend to use it 3 notches below the max brightness for the display and it's comfortable enough to view and colour reproduction is more than acceptable.

There's no other laptop on the market for me that ticks all the boxes this does so I'm pursuing with this laptop for the foreseeable knowing that it's display does not appear to be 'correct' by it's design.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Stoo,

If the default brightness is too high and you need to adjust this every time you turn on the machine, then you can change the settings.

Click Start and scroll down to Vaio Control Center -> expand Power Management and click on Vaio Power Management Viewer.

Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab and then click the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab.

Expand ‘Display’ and then ‘Display Brightness’.

Then click on the percentage brightness displayed for either ‘On battery’ or ‘Plugged in’ and adjust as required.

Click ‘Apply’.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat