Join now - be part of our community!

vaio vpcec3s0e Display driver stopped working

profile.country.en_GB.title
gamccre38
Visitor

vaio vpcec3s0e Display driver stopped working

I'm in serious need of some help

my vaio constantly comes up with display driver has stopped working but has recovered

sometimes it even shuts down or crashes

my vaio has worked perfectly till i had to send it away for left click on the touch pad not working

sony replaced the main board and ever since i got it back ive had this problem

since been on the phone to sony & they done the over the phone hardware test by using vaio care & everything worked fine they told me it was software problems, all drivers are up to date there's no over heating windows 7 is up to date i'm at a loss pleaseeeeee help

2 REPLIES 2
Darkhorse1001
Visitor

you're not going to like this...

you are not alone in experiencing this problem. I have just bought a brand new f series vaio and i have had this problem right out of the box. I have done some research and i'm sorry to say there is no quick fix.

the problem is caused by what is called a TDR (timeout detection and recovery) basically your graphics card is taking longer than expected to complete a task, windows recognises this and stops the process, resulting in your graphics card restarting (this is why the screen always goes dead just before the notification pops up) the good news is that in days gone by before the TDR system was put in place the computer would have just crashed completely or given you the blue screen of death. so if there is a bright side to look on, it is that in most cases you can carry on working/playing without losing any precious data.

The down side is that there is no single cause for a TDR, it could be anything from faulty RAM, to a driver conflict. If, however, this has only started since the computer was returned to you from sony, I would be taking the matter up with them, but given the horror stories i have heard about sony customer service i wouldn't be holding my breath....

gamccre38
Visitor

Thanks for the reply

ive already taken the laptop back to pc world where i got it who got in touch with Sony

but because its out of warranty now they want to charge me apparently £40-£60 for postage alone the laptop was still in warranty when i sent it to them though, i suppose i may put up with it now that i know the problem

Thanks Darkhorse