Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio won't power up.

Patlabor
Visitor

Vaio won't power up.

I pushed the power button on my VGN A417s and absolutely nothing happened. The adapter is fine and I've taken out the battery, undocked the laptop and plugged it in directly to the AC. but nothing, no LEDs.

I also left the AC plugged in overnight without battery, memory. Does anyone have any ideas. I'm on holiday right now away from any Sony or computer repair stores and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
davemee
Visitor

Hi Patlabor,

I used to have on of these machines, and suffered the same issue, within my first month of ownership. I had to send mine back to Sony and apparently, the motherboard was replaced. The machine came back identical; same case, same disk (with some diagnostic software they'd added to check it, presumably), same monitor and keyboard, just *working* again. It was bad timing, without the machine for 5 days, but it worked out in the end. I hope you don't have the same problem; if you do, I *really* hope you're still in warranty...

Dave

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hold down the power key for 30 seconds with only the AC connected, do not have the battery in.

This is supposed to discharge static that might have got in there.

Patlabor
Visitor

Thanks for the advice.

Yes it's still under warranty (extended). My problem is that I'm travelling in the USA right now, and the SONY agents here have been reluctant (read incompetent) to deal with a Euro model (not amused). Have tried discharging but that didn't do it.

I have been happy with my laptop so far and understand that they'll go belly up at some point but to have no repair option in the USA just narks me off!!! Especially when I'm willing to pay for the repair cost,,, UGH!!!!