Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio won't start up Windows and is now stuck on recovery mode!

thetralalagirl
Visitor

Vaio won't start up Windows and is now stuck on recovery mode!

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with my Vaio (that I used to love, but now just wanna throw out the window!).

There are various problems with my Vaio, model VGN FJ3S. My Vaio is experiencing start up problems which may be due to a registry error. Various BSOD's with different error codes have led me to believe that. However, I have not installed any hardware or software recently, so it is unclear to me how this is caused. It may be due to a virus. My Vaio suddenly rebooted while I was working on it. Before it rebooted a small BSOD appeared (it did not fill the entire screen).
My Vaio cannot start up Windows and I have tried every option in the F8 screen; it can't even go into safe mode. As soon as I try one of the start up options, it loads, but then a BSOD appears.
I have also tried F10, the recovery mode, but even that won't load. It will load the configuration and then a BSOD appears. Now, every time my Vaio reboots, it starts up the recovery mode automatically and then a BSOD appears. I can't get into the menu with the start up options, even if I press F8 continuously before the Vaio logo appears. However, I can get into the BIOS setup, but that's it. As soon as I exit the menu, the recovery mode loads and then fails and a BSOD appears.

I would like to know:

- How do I get out of the recovery mode?
- How do I get it to boot into safe mode?
- How do I repair the registry? I don't have a recovery disc and I can't even load the recovery utility.
- My Vaio would make this very soft high pitched noise if it was in sleep mode and it would be silent if it was turned off. However, now that is has been experiencing these problems, you can hear this high pitched noise coming from it, as if it is still in sleep mode. Even if I shut it off in BIOS, you can still hear it. Is it correct that it is not suppose to make this noise or make any noise when it is completely shut off?

I hope someone can help, because I don't want to do a complete reinstall. I don't want to lose any data! Please let me know if you need any more information about my situation.

Thanks!

PS: I don't know the exact stop error codes, because they seemed to vary from time to time, even if the names were the same, but some of the errors I got were:
BSOD errors:
bad page config info
irql no less or equal

after failing to load recovery mode:
pfn list corrupt
bad pool caller

VGN-FJ3S:
Processor: Intel Pentium M 740 / 1.73 GHz
Data Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Features: Enhanced SpeedStep technology, power-optimized processor system bus, Execute

Disable Bit capability
Chipset Type: Mobile Intel 915GM Express

Cache memory
Type: L2 Cache
Installed Size: 2 MB

Ram
Installed Size: 1 GB / 2 GB (max)
Technology: DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHz
Configuration Features: 2 x 512 MB

Type: Serial ATA
Serial ATA Interface: Serial ATA-150
Hard Drive: 100 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm

Optical storage
Type: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated

Operating system / software
OS Provided: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
davjones78
Visitor

Hi, You can try this method which will not remove any of your stuff except what has down loaded from the time after you had this problem.
Click on start button, bottom left of screen.
Type "system restore" in box just above start button
Click on system restore
Follow instructions . put in a date before you had this problem and windows will restore back to that date only so you will not loose anything prior to that date . This might help if you try it and if not you will have lost nothing except what has loaded up from that date. It is easy to follow the instructions you will be requested to restart and reboot when done your system will be back to the date you gave. Hope it will Help David

thetralalagirl
Visitor

Hi, that's just the problem. It won't even load Windows so I can't do a system restore. It would reboot and then show a menu of startup options, because Windows was shut off incorrectly. If I would choose any of the safe mode options or load last saved settings or start up windows normally, it would fail and show me a BSOD.
But now it's stuck in recovery mode because I pressed f10, and now every time it reboots it goes automatically into recovery mode. But even that won't load properly. Instead I get a BSOD.

thetralalagirl
Visitor

My Vaio was stuck in recovery mode, but not anymore! When I restarted my Vaio I wanted to see if I could get into the menu with the advanced startup options, so I pressed F8 continuously. Of course that didn't work, because that didn't work the previous time. But while I continued to press F8 even when the recovery mode was loading, suddenly the recovery wizard popped up! Finally, I could do a complete system restore!

Well, I cancelled it, because I didn't want to do a system restore yet. But now I'm able to get into the F8 advanced start up menu.

So, if your Vaio is stuck in recovery mode, try to press F8 continuously.

I will post again if my Vaio is repaired.