Join now - be part of our community!

Vertical lines on display after Win 7 update

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
AlisonStroebel
Visitor

Vertical lines on display after Win 7 update

Hi all, I bought my Vaio in NOv 2010 and it has been working perfectly, then the other day I switched it on and it said the ususal "do not turn off Windows updates being installed". Once the installation had finished, the display went blank then came up with vertical lines of various colours.

I did a number of restarts and at one stage one quarter of the screen was "normal" display of desktop with the top part vertical lines. I then managed to uninstall the last windows update and when that didn't work to revert to the day before the problem, to no avail.

It seems the computer is working perfectly behind the lines as if I could guess whrere the icon was it opened the program. Then on the next shut down and restart the screen once again was full vertical lines.

There had been no "incident" as in the computer was not bumped or anything in anyway, I can only assume the update caused the problem.

Can anyone give advice. I am at present in Brazil, no one speaks english and no sony center here but will be in Canada in July. Help please??:smileysad:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you go to the Support Pages for your model and look in the International Warranty Tab here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/virs.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCS12X9E_B#applicshow

You will see the number to call for repairs in Canada: -

+1 888 476 6972

(available 24/7)

Good Luck

:wink:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I presume you cannot get access to an external monitor to try that?

Check if the same problem is displayed in the BIOS screens.  Reboot the Vaio and when you see the first VAIO Logo screen, tap F2 repeatedly until the screen disappears.  This should open the BIOS screen.   Is the BIOS screen OK?

If yes, then the problem is in Windows and you should go into Safe Mode and reinstall the Graphics Driver.

If No, then there is a fault with the screen that may need a repair.

If you need help to go into Safe Mode, please come back and also give us the exact Vaio model so we can find a Graphics driver for you.

:thinking:

AlisonStroebel
Visitor

Thank you for your reply. I did try and plug it in to external monitor (TV screen) and it came up with message "unsupported". :slight_frown:

I also tried the Bios route but the bios screen doesn't appear, well you can see it goes into it but you still see the vertical lines. They way you can see that something is happening is the lines change colour to what the screen colours would have been on that page. Also if you know what is on the screen and you can "blind click" you can get it to respond. So I think based on your advice it must be the screen. :cry: :cry:

I will be in Canada, St Johns in August (:smileycry: so long wihout my computer ) do you know where I can get it repaired there?

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Can you give me your Vaio model please?  I can then check if your model has an International Warranty.

Model.jpg

:thinking:

AlisonStroebel
Visitor

HI my model number is : VPCS12V9E/B. Thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you go to the Support Pages for your model and look in the International Warranty Tab here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/virs.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCS12X9E_B#applicshow

You will see the number to call for repairs in Canada: -

+1 888 476 6972

(available 24/7)

Good Luck

:wink:

AlisonStroebel
Visitor

Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated

:slight_smile: