Join now - be part of our community!

VGC Hard drive Failure. Void Warranty !!! ANYONE ELSE?

nilechamp
Visitor

VGC Hard drive Failure. Void Warranty !!! ANYONE ELSE?

Yes I have an L Series home computer/entertainment centre just 5 months old. Yesterday a 'SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 2' warning came up. 'BACK UP AND CHANGE DISK IMMEDIATELY'
So I call Sony at great expense. They confirm the SMART software is almost fool proof and I need a new hard disk. Now is when I discover their warranty is not worldwide or even 'free internationaly'.
They want me to package my computer and Fedex it back to UK (I am now living in the West Indies) They will repair it (no gaurantee of how long this will take) and fedex it back to WI on my Fedex account. Cost to me approx £300. Plus insurance of course!
I suggested they send the hard drive to my UK address. I will forgo the remaining warranty, pay for it to be Fedexed out to WI and pay for installation. Sony saves a bundle!
Oh no say Sony thats against policy and even if we did get approval under these extraordinary circumstance you would still most definately have to PAY for the replacement hard drive as well as paying for EVERYTHING else.
Thankyou so much Sony for your care, understanding and assistance.
NOW I AM HEARING RUMOURS THIS IS A COMMON FAULT. APPARENTLY COMET REFUSED TO SELL THESE MODELS FOR THIS REASON.
MINE IS A MODEL PCG-2A2M
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEMS?
PS is there a search facility on this forum? :devil: Yes I have an L Series home computer/entertainment centre just 5 months old. Yesterday a 'SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 2' warning came up. 'BACK UP AND CHANGE DISK IMMEDIATELY'
So I call Sony at great expense. They confirm the SMART software is almost fool proof and I need a new hard disk. Now is when I discover their warranty is not worldwide or even 'free internationaly'.
They want me to package my computer and Fedex it back to UK (I am now living in the West Indies) They will repair it (no gaurantee of how long this will take) and fedex it back to WI on my Fedex account. Cost to me approx £300. Plus insurance of course!
I suggested they send the hard drive to my UK address. I will forgo the remaining warranty, pay for it to be Fedexed out to WI and pay for installation. Sony saves a bundle!
Oh no say Sony thats against policy and even if we did get approval under these extraordinary circumstance you would still most definately have to PAY for the replacement hard drive as well as paying for EVERYTHING else.
Thankyou so much Sony for your care, understanding and assistance.
NOW I AM HEARING RUMOURS THIS IS A COMMON FAULT. APPARENTLY COMET REFUSED TO SELL THESE MODELS FOR THIS REASON.
MINE IS A MODEL PCG-2A2M
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEMS?
PS is there a search facility on this forum?

0 REPLIES 0