Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-LN1M Upgrade Vista to Win 7 ? (and then Win 10 ?)

profile.country.en_GB.title
michaelat59
Explorer

VGC-LN1M Upgrade Vista to Win 7 ? (and then Win 10 ?)

Here we are in mid-2015, everyone is upgrading to Windows 10 and I'm a bit behind...

I have a 32 bit Vista Sony VGC-LN1M, a lovely neat all-in-one machine I fell in love with at first sight in the Sony shop window.  It is still going strong, though starting to get a bit noisy.  It does everything I want, looks as good as new and always impresses visitors, who often think it is a TV until I switch it on.  I do have a couple of specific problems which I shall ask about separately (I suspect they may be more to do with Windows settings and driver issues than faults in the works, but we shall see).

I am becoming concerned that Vista will not be supported forever, just like XP has been abandoned.  It is possible to buy the full Windows 7 32 bit still from suppliers on Amazon and I wonder if it would be a good idea to upgrade.  I accept that I am unlikely to get any official support from Sony, but I feel sure that someone must have attempted Win 7 on a VGC-LN1M and can tell me if it is feasible.  In particular, if it all goes wrong, can I "restore" back to Vista ?

I do have a Win 7 laptop which I have recently upgraded to Win 10, but that might be a step too far on the old Sony machine which just might not have the hardware capability - however if anyone has succeeded in this further step I would be interested to hear from you.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Michael Hooker

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
michaelat59
Explorer

Isn't there anyone who has tried upgrading this machine to Win 7 ?

Michael Hooker