Join now - be part of our community!

VGC - V3S new hard drive ?

PNVS
Visitor

VGC - V3S new hard drive ?

My old V3S has now been replaced by a LA2 but the fault it was replaced for is happening less often. The Hard drive light would go on and remain on with some banging from the back. Some times this was ok but caused the PC to lock for upto 2-3 min but at times this would be terminal and cause the PC to stop and turn black with "replace with boot disk" or somthing like that. Off and on again fixed but not good for confidence if working.

The questions I have are
:thinking:

1. What hard drive will be a good replacement.
2. How can I have the same data and programes on the new disk.
3. How easy is the repacment job.
4. I really like the V3S and as yet have to be convinced by the LA2.
5. I run VISTA on the V3S and have had no problems with this machine in nearly 3 years.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi PNVS,

Luckily, replacing your hard drive is quite a simple job on your V3S. You do not need to dismantle the main unit - just remove the two small screws in the PEDISTAL and remove the cover to expose your PSU and your Hard Drive.

I think it is a standard 3.5 inch ATA drive, so you can easily fit a 500GB ATA (IDE 133) drive like THIS ONE

Although you can recover your Vaio from scratch using the Recovery Discs and then do ALL the updates you have made including Vista - I would clone your existing disc using something like Acronis True Image 10 which will copy all your programs/updates/settings.

:wink: