Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A115S DVD burner is trashing more discs than burning

zaphoduk
Visitor

VGN-A115S DVD burner is trashing more discs than burning

I've got the latest v.d firmware for the DVD writer in my laptop and have all the other bios drivers etc to latest versions but still my writer is trashing more than 50% of the media i throw at it.

I've tried Ritek, Verbatim, Datawrite, Intenso, Infiniti and several others. It doesn't seem to be choosy about make of disc, it is quite happy to subjectively trash any brand at random.

It happens when using Decrypter to burn ISO's, it happens when using Sonic Record Now Max and a list of files, it also happens with the DVD-Click software in-built to the drive.

It's also doing some very odd things with VIDEO_TS folders. A couple of times, i have had VIDEO_TS folders which are about 4.3gig and they burn in a couple of minutes. Looking at the physical disc itself, there appears to be hardly anything burnt on the tracks. WHen interogating the disc in the drive, all files have a zero bytes when burnt.

I'm tearing my hair out here, i bought this laptop as i work away from home and need access to a writer, this ain't helping.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I would take this computer into to VAIO-Link so that Sony can repair it - please note that third-party repairs WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

The phone numbers, email addresses etc are shown in by link at the bottom of this message.

Good Luck

Turnaround time for VAIO-Link varies from a few days to two (2) weeks.

TygerTyger
Visitor

VIDEO_TS is the subject of many many anti-piracy tricks, so to be honest it's really no surprise that you have trouble burning that. Same goes for AUDIO_TS, although I think most burners prevent you from burning a folder with either name at all. Try burning something that isn't copyrighted or doesn't have that name and see if your success rate goes up.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I made my own DVD with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS and I had no issues.

zaphoduk
Visitor

I hardly think the writer would prevent the files from being burnt, it's more likely to be the software. But since VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders are quite legitimate when burning DV Camcorder footage, as is what my father is attempting, and it does the same on numerous software packages, it's a bit odd.

I myself tried burning a selection of MP3's onto a DVD at the weekend, as files not as audio tracks, and again, some of them randomly were 0 bytes in size.

I must admit to really losing faith in the Sony brand at the moment. My original desktop DVD writer was the Sony DRU-500A and this had about a 40% success rate with blank DVD's until about the 6th or 7th firmware revision.

It's a shame really as i am pretty much happy with everything else the laptop provides, but when i think how much it cost me compared to the Acer Ferari laptops out there, i get more than a bit miffed.

kee-lo_

Yeah it's very frustrating!

TygerTyger
Visitor

Hey I almost bought the acer ferrari as well. I'm quite glad I didn't the screens don't compare and they are basically the most important part.

I get the gist of your problem now sorry. All I can suggest is make sure anti-virus software is disabled, make sure you have plenty of free HDD space, and if you have the option in your writing software then max out the amount of RAM it uses.

kee-lo_

A lot of people have said the Acer Ferari overheats too TT

zaphoduk
Visitor

OK, interesting thing i have found over the weekend.

I have an 160gig Maxtor HD in a caddy connecting via USB to my Laptop. Instead of burning from the Vaio's internal hard drive, i tried burning from the external hard drive. I've tried with ISO files on the external drive and stand alone file compilations on the drive. Not a single coaster.

I am therefor wondering if it is something to do with burning from the Vaio's hard drive and that same drive being the same physical unit the swap file is on is causing some conflict, or if it's simply just a coincidence.

kee-lo_

Plenty of space on the drives and defragmentation is always a good idea.