Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A417S/Port Replicator no TV!

immediate
Visitor

VGN-A417S/Port Replicator no TV!

I would really appreciate any help with this problem as it’s causing serious professional difficulties.

I’m using a Vaio VGN-A417S with the supplied VGP-PRAV2 Port Replicator docking station. This includes an analogue TV tuner plus external video and audio inputs, and facilities for recording from TV.

Everything was working perfectly until I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Now the TV tuner will not work at all. I have installed the Vista upgrades from:

http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-A&m=1877&os=7&o...

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled ensuring I followed the order listed, but without success. Vaio Zone loads but gives the error:

“Unable to watch TV or videos because the video display hardware cannot be used."

Please see screenshot. No other programs are running, and the Port Replicator is correctly connected to the laptop.

The only oddity I can find is that two instances of Vaio Zone are listed in Programs and Features. One I can uninstall but the other I can't as Vista says XP is needed. I have tried the alternative uninstall methods suggested by Microsoft but all fail. Of course, this might have nothing to do with the problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Allan

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi immediate,

It could be the second XP installation - did you install an upgrade to Ultimate or use a clean install?

I have a feeling it could be something as simple as turning off the Aero function in Vista - Vaio Zone cannot support this - give that a try and see what happens.

:thinking:

EDIT: I have deleted the other thread for you.

:wink:

immediate
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

I don't know how to begin to thank you! I did try changing the screen resolution as the error message suggested, but disabling Aero would never have occurred to me in a million years. However, I did so and the TV side sprang into life immediately! Thank you again. I had done an upgrade to Vista not a clean install, and really didn't fancy doing the latter, so you have saved me many hours of work.

Thanks also for deleting the other thread.

Best wishes,

Allan