Join now - be part of our community!

VGN A617B and Booting from USB-Stick

hans2
Visitor

VGN A617B and Booting from USB-Stick

Hallo,

ich habe einen USB-Stick, mit dem sich andere Computer booten lassen. Mit dem VGN A617B funktioniert das aber nicht. Es läßt sich im Bios auch nicht einstellen. Da mir das Notebook als Highend-Notebook verkauft worden ist, habe ich die Erwartung, daß es doch irgendwie gehen muß. Hat jemand eine Idee?

Is there a way to preperate the VGN A617B, that I can boot it with a USB-Stick I have for this purpose, which works with other Computers?

Hans

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hello Hans,

Unfortunately most VAIO computers have not got the option to boot from USB media because the BIOS module normally only supports these boot methods:

* Primary IDE Device - Hard Disk 0
* Secondary IDE Device - CD/DVD 0
* Network via the Intel BOOTP Specification (F12)

The only way around this would probably be to find a BIOS update and reflash the BIOS module to add these new features. This is a highly risky operation, which if the power fails or you use the wrong update module you could render the PC useless, and it would have to be sent to VAIO-Link then for a repair.

Sony unfortunately don't seem to update their System BIOS modules - so you'd have to know precisely what BIOS update you required. You'd also have to obtain the PhoenixBIOS WinPLASH tool.

Apart from the risky BIOS upgrade, there's not really much else you can do I'm afraid.

hans2
Visitor

Hello James,

thank you very much.

The VGN A617B has the boot method "Removable Dev." but when it is in first Position, the Notebook doesn't boot from USB-Stick.

Hans

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You can only boot from CD/DVD