Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR21S issues

willcox
Visitor

VGN-AR21S issues

Hi.

I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice. I bought the AR21S over the Christmas period and i have encountered a number of problems, some of which have been mentioned on this forum in the past and others which have not.

Firstly, i have been a laptop user for 6 years and i tend to update once every 2 years. I regard myself as being technically sound when it comes to windows, software etc. However, i dont seem to be able to find any solutions. I havent done anything usual with my laptop. So far i have installed Microsoft Office and thats pretty much it other than the software that comes pre-installed.

1. In area's where my wireless signal is weak, when i get disconnected for a second or two for whatever reason, the notebook seems to have trouble automatically reconnecting. Worse still, i can see the wireless icon in the taskbar, but i cannot click on it with either the left or the right mouse button, therefore i cannot access the properties to manually connect. Once this has happened, it appears to be directly related to point's 2 & 3 - the slowing down of my machine and then inabilty to shut down the notebook without experiencing problems.

2. The notebook appears to be running incredibly slowly; in fact, slower than my old HP Pavillion with 512mb ram. Yet i have virtually nothing on the Vaio. As an example, if i try to open Microsoft word, i have to wait something like 7 minutes for it to open, if it opens at all. Yet Microsoft Outlook runs like the wind and if i click "new message", Word loads up as my default mail editor without any problems whatsoever. This could possibly be related to the pre-installed Norton products, as the software i am having problems opening stop completely when Norton scans whatever document i am trying to open. A "clean" opening of software (i.e. loading up Microsoft Excel via the icon, rather than clicking on a document and it being opened automatically) also creates a 7 minute delay in opening the program.

3. I cannot for the life of me shut down the laptop, hibernate it, put it into standby mode, wthout something going wrong. I'll be honest, this happens about 90% of the time. Even after a restart (which seems to work reasonably well) i still have problems shutting down, hibernating etc.

The most common errors are the following:

* Not enough resources to complete the API - Seems strange to me... i have nothing open and task manager shows no applications are running, just the usual processes.

* The device driver for the Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network connection device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications (nothing is open!). If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.

Unfortunately, this puts me in a difficult situation, as the only reliable way of turning off the Vaio is to hold the power button for several seconds, which is just 'rude'!

4. I have a Kingston DataTraveller II memory stick. When inserted into the USB port the icon appears in MY Computer, yet when i try to access it i get a message along the lines of "please insert disk in drive E". The stick contains important documents from my old laptop, which can be accessed fine through any other PC or laptop. Why is this?

5. I have following instructions to "update my vaio" as prompted in the taskbar and downloaded (and installed) all the updates, yet if i return to the webpage it keeps saying that i need to install one more update, yet it appears to be an older version of what has already been installed - and this is apparent on the update website as there are 2 updates for the same thing (cant remember which, sorry)

Thank you in advance for your assistance. As you can see, i really need it!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Not looking good this is it?

I would remove Norton first, and use products like AVG Anti-virus as they're a lot better than Norton - also use Zone Alarm as the firewall as it's using less resource than NIS.

I would defragment the drive and remove as much of the clutter Sony have put on there you don't want.

willcox
Visitor

Thanks for the response.

Although i agree the pre-installed stuff clutters things slightly, but this beast has a Core 2 Duo processor T7200 2.00GHZ with 2gb of RAM and 256mb dedicated video memory.

It should be able to handle Norton, which I put my hand up to saying i have used in the past and experienced no problems with it whatsover. However, i'll take your advice and remove it (or at least disable it for testing purposes) to see if anything changes. I cant imagine its the root of all evil however.

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi willcox and welcome.

Try THIS MICROSOFT HOTFIX to fix the "Not enough resources ...." problem.

For the wireless problems, you could update your Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Connection software FROM HERE

:wink:

willcox
Visitor

blencogo - thanks for that. I've been away for a couple of days and i'm currently downloading the updates. Fingers crossed!

Having done a bit of testing here and there, i have noticed that the catalyst to many of my problems comes down to the wireless driver. For example, if i am in an area with no wireless whatsoever, all applications load without problems. Also i seem to be able to shut down a litte easier.

Anyway, installing the updates now and will report back.

Thanks again.

profile.country.es_ES.title
pariope41
Visitor
profile.country.es_ES.title
pariope41
Visitor

Have they corrected all these failures with the audio in this new model of Sony???

http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/vgn-ar28gp/index.html

There has the series Ar some problem that is solved for firmware?

Estan studying this failure of the audio?

Regards and to seeing if moderator answers me algun that I have desire of it...

willcox
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo. The hotfix worked fine for the "not enough resources" issue, whilst the new wireless software allows me to restart, hibernate, standby - which is fantastic news. So now i'm left with a couple more queries...

1. As mentioned in my initial post, i still cannot access my USB datastick without the "insert disk in drive E" message, yet it works fine in my old HP laptop.

2. The new wireless software always states "signal quality=excellent" in the task bar even when the signal is very weak. Double clicking on the icon in the taskbar shows signal strength is basically terrible. Probably doesnt matter, but seems strange.

3. Back to the good old wireless again... is there something fundementally wrong with the factory installed wireless cards? I can be sat right next to the router and get just 3 bars out of 5, whilst my 4 year old HP laptop gets 5 out of 5 when i'm sat in the room next door.

It also seems to get disconnected and it reconnects quite regularly.

Thanks in advance.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Don't think I know the answer to this one!!

Have you got your wireless adapter set to 'Maximum' performance?

Right-click on it in Device Manager and choose Properties. Look in Power Management or Advanced.

:thinking: