Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR61ZU - a drive in RAID 0 is failing.

BimmerJimmer
Visitor

VGN-AR61ZU - a drive in RAID 0 is failing.

Hi,

I keep getting 'a drive in RAID 0 is failing. Try to Back up data immediately' error on my 2 month old AR61ZU.
I checked these forums and there was an issue with Intel Matrix Storage Manager and Quicktime. I've updated to the latest intel drivers (7.8) and the problem remains.

Could it be that the message is correct and my hard drive is actually failing? I suspected it might be so ran checkdisk and it failed to complete.

If it is a legit hdd failure, how will this be repaired? Will sony send me a new hdd and allow me to replace myself? I only ask because this is my work laptop and it would be seriously inconvenient to be without for any length of time - I've just about resigned myself to the possiblity of re-installing and configuring the laptop again after a restore, i hope this isn't prolonged by having to send the laptop of for repair.

Many thanks for any advice..

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi BimmerJimmer,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Have you installed the Intel SATA Driver 7.5.0.1017 from the Sony Vaio support site?

If not use the following link to download the update: SATA Driver

Sony state: This update resolves the following issue:
- Degraded RAID volumes when playing or transcoding video files in Apple iTunes and QuickTime software.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thalamus is right - the new SATA/RAID driver should fix the issue.

Unfortunately the error message persists until you manually re-set the drive: -

1. Search all programs -> Intel Matrix Storage Manager -> Intel Matrix Storage Console
2. Right-click and 'Run as Administrator'
3. In the Intel Matrix Storage Console, choose 'advanced view'.
4. One of your drives ("Port 0" or "Port 1") will show an error.
5. Change its status to 'Normal' (I think you do this by right-clicking on the drive or choosing 'Actions')

Good Luck.

:wink:

BimmerJimmer
Visitor

I installed updates late last night and reset the error message in the matrix manager.

So far so good. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: glad we could help.. :slight_smile:

broochie
Visitor

Yep, keep your fingres crossed, there could be a faulty drive, between the two hdds, happened to me on my AR31S, updated the drivers but the same message haunted me everyday, until l removed the hdds n checked each one independently on my hdd enclosure , & jus when l thot everything is fine, l heard clicking noises in one of the drives, it seemed as the read/write arm was stuck & couldnt move past some point...

BimmerJimmer
Visitor

Boo Hoo, updated the driver and still getting the errors.

How do I arrange a repair? Can I just phone a Sony Centre shop? (I bought online)

broochie
Visitor

How do I arrange a repair? Can I just phone a Sony Centre shop? (I bought online)

I had a feeling you were in the same boat l was in earlier... Its seems one of the drives(hdd) is faulty. Try & give the guys from Sony a call, they're will be able to help u l suppose, in my case, l had upgraded my hdds, originally it came with two 120GB hdds(5400rpm) (240GB in total), then got myself two 200GB hdds(7200rpm) 400GB in total ... A couple of weeks later..... :slight_frown: :cry: .... so had to go back to my slow 120Gb hdds..... :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi BimmerJimmer,

you can contact Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support