Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-B1VP Wireless Connectivity Issues

silver99
Visitor

VGN-B1VP Wireless Connectivity Issues

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me. I am having difficulty getting my notebook to work on my wireless lan at home

I am trying to connect to a Linksys wireless router running WPA with shared Keys.

Initally I could not connect as I was AES encryption and the notebook does not seem to suppor this so have change it all to TKIP.

Now the wireless card will join and authenticate on the network but will not pick up a dhcp address. I have tried statically addressing the notebook and this still does not work, I don't know what else to try, any help would be gladly recieved.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Often this is caused by a typing error in the encryption key.

tellingd
Visitor

Agree with Rob, it can also happen for no apparent reason. Try turning off all encryption and access controls that you may have in operation and see if you can connect. If so, then turn on the security bit by bit.

Works for me :slight_smile:

PoC
Visitor

I had the same problem, also using WPA-AES, but fixed it:

Switched off all security on the network to get it working in the first instance. - and added my laptop wireless MAC address to my MAC filtering on the wireless Access Point.

Noticed that support was for TKIP only - so updated laptop wireless LAN driver on VAIO update site to latest - and it offered me AES! :slight_smile:

Ensured that all my wireless access details were re-entered on the laptop.

Then it worked fine, now using WPA-AES.

Hope that helps.

P.

robpaxton
Explorer

My normal technique when installing a wireless network is to initially turn off all encryption, turn off all firewalls. Install and setup the network and do preliminary tests to see that everything is working OK. After that, I re-enable all of the firewalls, adding the network IP range to the trusted zones. Test everything again. Final stage is to re-enable encryption, add mac address filtering and do final tests.

Never had a failure or problem when doing it this way . . .

silver99
Visitor

Cheers guys.

I know the key is Ok as I can get it to authenticate. I will try new lan driver and the other suggestions.

Many Thanks

silver99
Visitor

Ok now this does sound really dense but it's not obviouse me to how to get an updated lan driver. On the support pages I can get me model but there nothing to download specifically for the LAN... do I hav eit already or do I need to install something vaio specific to get it??

Cheers