Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-C1Z/B: DVR-K16M doesn't read DVD-RAM

pinnecco
Visitor

VGN-C1Z/B: DVR-K16M doesn't read DVD-RAM

Hi,
(first post! :smileygrin: )

I have a SONY Vaio Laptop model VGN-C1Z/B, which comes with a multi-burner DVD drive. I managed to read and format a DVD-RAM disc before without any problems, using Ahead's InCD packer writing software.

But now when I inser a DVD-RAM disc, the drive spins up but nothing else happens and any application that tends to access the drive seems to hang/freeze. Ah, I can also hear a suttle little continous beep (but it is very low).

Does any one have any idea of what might be happening? I already tried to uninstall InCD but the problem wasn't solved.

The drive currently has the OFFICIAL SONY 1.10 FIRMWARE (no hacked firmware on this drive!)

I am using Windows XP with SP2 (can't be bothered to install the free copy of Vista at the moment).

Please, any help is appreciated. I hope my drive is not broken :slight_frown: :thinking:

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi pinnecco and welcome to Club Vaio.

Not quite sure but I would think that your drive does not support DVD-RAM. Very few computer drives do.

CD Packet Writing Software like 'InCD' and 'Drag-to-DVD' are notorious for causing drive problems and are best avoided.

Go to Device Manager and see if there are any warnings against your drive in the DVD/CD-ROM section. These are usually a ! or ? in a yellow triangle. If there is an error, double click on the drive and see what Error Code is shown. Let us know and we may find a solution.

If there is no error, right-click on the drive and choose Uninstall - then reboot your Vaio and hope for the best!

:thinking:

pinnecco
Visitor

Hi pinnecco and welcome to Club Vaio.

Your drive does not support DVD-RAM. Very few computer drives do.

Hi! thanks for the welcome.

My notebook does support DVD-RAM. In fact it was working perfectly before. I even uninstalled InCD and I still have the same problems.

The beauty of DVD-RAM is that the writing cappabilities are hardware based and is way more friendly with packet writing.

I did managed to format a disk before with InCD (InCD adds the ability to format the disk in UDF, this is why I installed it).

I can't stop noticing the discreet yet evident sound that the drive makes when after a while trying to read the DVD-RAM. I think the 1.10 firmware pushed by Sony for the DVR-K16M might have a bug. I have also noticed this sound also occurs if I load a DVD-RAM outside Windows (say, on the BIOS setup).

Does anyone have the original 1.0 firmware for the DVR-K16M drive? I guess I should try to downgrade it. As I said, it was working before.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Apologies pinnecco,

It looks like your drive should support DVD-RAM up to 5X.

You seem to be using the latest Sony driver - are there any errors in DM?

pinnecco
Visitor

Yes, the latest firmware. As for the driver, device manager says:

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 01/07/2001
Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

I have no errors on device manager. And there is no custom Sony driver for the drive.

There are no errors in the Device Manager. Also, the drive icon on MyComputer says it is a DVD-RAM. At the moment it is also reading DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD+RW without any problems (this is all I have to test). All that I know for sure that is not being able to read is DVD-RAM.

Cheers,
Pedro

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pedro,

They are the standard XP Drivers.

You can download the 1.00 Firmware version from HERE - don't know if it will install?

pinnecco
Visitor

Hi.

The link to this firmware doesn't work. Can't find the original firmware file PIFOPD-01103901-UN.exe anywhere 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi pinnecco

I have found a download link for the PIONEER DVR-K16M (Currently RPC1 firmware based on 1.00 SONY.)here

obviously this is not from sony, so install at your own risk.... :wink:

Alternatively you could contact Vaio-link and ask if they can provide the original firmware for you..

pinnecco
Visitor

Hi,

I think my drive is kaput... I did manage to find the 1.0 firmware but it didn't fixed the problem. I also tried to use other brands of DVD-RAM and I have the same problem.

UMBELIEVABLE! I must say I am not impressed by this and I expected more from Sony 😞

pinnecco
Visitor

To make things more interesting, today I called Sony VAIO support and no matter how much I explained to the support rep that I had read and recorded DVD-RAMs in the past, the rap ketp saying my drive doesn't support it DVD-RAM. In the end I couldn't grasp if she was calling me a liar or simply insulting my intelligence, but we agree they should look further before dismissing my claims. :thinking: