Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW11E Broken Power Jack Socket (DC In Port)

Xaq
Visitor

VGN-FW11E Broken Power Jack Socket (DC In Port)

Hi all and a happy new year

A couple of months back I noticed that my adaptor jack kept falling out, on closer inspection I noticed the circular cylinder that sat in the DC In port (and effectively held the adaptor jack) had fallen out...

As a result I have to angle the adapter wire (top half) however this is working less and less and no doubt potentially dangerous.

So to cut a long story short, does anyone know where I can get a replacement (ebay?) and how easy it is to replace. I'm not sure what the product code is or what replacements are vaild for this particular Vaio model?

You advice will be much appreciated!

P.S. The other cylinder on the right hand side (power button) has also been loose for a long time - not having much luck with both sides!!

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
philsteeler
Visitor

Xaq,

Had similar problems myself. I have an FW21L and after about 3 months the whole barrel hinge where the AC power plugs in started to fall off, when that happened I went to a few stores to check their display models and guess what? About 75% of them also had the same problem with either the power hinge or the on/off button hinge. Have you noticed on the new F series they've changed the design? Anyway, Sony repaired it no problem but it's now worked slightly loose again and I've been ultra careful looking after it since the problem. Overall Ive been a little disappointed with overall build quality. My mouse pad started to peel up in 1 corner and also at the front centre edge and the rubber feet separating the screen from the keyboard when the lid is closed weren't high enough so scratches appeared all over the front edge of the palm rest and the top of the screen frame as the 2 rub together when it's in a laptop case. But credit to Sony they replaced the damaged casing and repaired the mouse pad and returned it all in 4 days. Excellent service but after just 4 days the mouse pad is peeling up again. Getting a bit disillusioned but love the laptop other than that just a shame the build quality seems distinctly budget, the only saving grace is the fantastic after sales service.

Cheers

Phil

profile.country.en_GB.title
matpark52
Visitor

Mine's just fallen out too - exact same problem!! And, it's an F series of just 2.5 months old, so if Sony changed the design - it's for the worst!! I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow and get it sorted, but I'm reassured from your comments saying there is good after sales service. The power button is okay so far as is the pad and no palm rest scratches either.

Why is a little piece of plastic supposed to hold in a whole wire? I can't imagine anyone's lasting too long...

japatel57
Visitor

My Laptop which is still under the 12 Months warranty is with Sony Repair for the Power Jack Socket issue. Got a call that it is going to cost me £121 pounds to repair. Told it was wear and tear. Sony, have you got any comments. I can give you the current Repair reference.  

mike734
Visitor

I'm delighted to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I bought my laptop around 4 months ago and around a week ago noticed that the power jack socket was loose, after checking I discovered that the plastic sleeve had disappeared and the only way the laptop would charge was to keep the cable pulled up. Having taken it back to the shop (John Lewis) I was told that this was quite a common problem!!! Recieved a phone call today to tell me that this was accident damage and that it would cost me 120 + VAT to have it repaired. Right now I am fuming and I intend on taking this issue as far as I can (currently considering contacting WATCHDOG). Clearly this is, or should be, a known problem and I really don't see why I should have to pay out 141 GBP in order to have this fixed. Hopefully Sony monitor this discussion forum - I'd love to have some direct feedback. I found this to be all the more rediculous when I looked up the website to see a video on product quality that shown a laptop being tested by havin a robotic device smash the corner of a laptop off a workbench. The corner being smashed was the one with the Power Jack Socket!!!!!! - You should have a look and feedback just how impressed you are by this. Sorry - this may be a bit of a rant but I am absolutely furious.

SONY - YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE

PS - Only phone number for Sony that I can find is 08705 111 999. Is there a more suitable number?

sara7k
New

I just come accross these posts while searching internet help re my laptop... I´ve also been having problems with my ac adaptor coming loose and eventually had to angle it with a book to keep it in place but eventually this stopped working...and something became stuck in the adaptor connectar from the DC Inlet connectar...

Okay, I´ve had mine about 5 years but it was packed away for about three as I moved to Spain.

Mine is the AW series - I love the laptop (except for the win vista...) and can´t imagine buy another brand, but I am a bit dissapointed about the problem...

Unfortunately, I´ve had a tough time trying to find a Sony shop in Spain... There´s few Sony Authorized Repair Centres (speaking only spanish) and really needs to be many more... Even the english who had Sony in the UK and love sony, now buy local brands for less inconvenience when needing parts or repairs...

Sony customer service have been very good, but overall, there needs to be something done to make it easier for customers who move to Spain...

It would be okay if we had english speaking Sony Repair Centres here and more of them... I might email PC Box head office to suggest they become SonyAuthorised... There´s many PC Boxes in Spain - all sell and repair...

At some point, when I can, I will still buy another Sony if I can get the same quality, or better, as my AW-21S Vaio... Therefore, I hope Sony don´t make any cuts that affects their quality because this is the main reason why many people stick with Sony, as well as good customer support...

Sony - If you read this - Any ideas...

*Getting more Repairers in Spain authorized for sony repairs... - That can also order the original sony parts direct from sony or from a sony parts provider would be a benefit...

*A parts provider not just for retailers...A parts supplier for general public - Basically, some way to order Sony Parts from Spain.

I tried EETEUROPARTS (sell many many parts omg) but there´s only a registration option for retailers and I couldn´t find any way to order anything without registering (and I´m not a retailer)...

STUFF UK has been recommended and suggested that they `might´ sell me the parts as a one-off... I don´t know if one-off would be because they don´t normally do Spain or maybe they only sell to retailers...