Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-TX2/S Recovery Disks in UK

celtictricky
Visitor

VGN-TX2/S Recovery Disks in UK

Hi does anybody have a set of full recorvery disks for the TX2/S.

I recently bought the machine, but it was full of crap, and would like to clean it down, and start a fresh?

This would be really helpful?

Thanks

Richard

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Richard,

Assuming that you still have the original operating system and that you have not formatted the drive you can create your own recovery media using Vaio recovery utility. Otherwise Sony will charge you approx. €70 for a set.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
celtictricky
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I assume its the original setup, but I cannot be sure I'm afraid. Certainly the HDD is split in 2 partitions, and there seems to be on the 2nd partition drivers and utils etc. There does not see to be a way though to create a set of disks.

There is a program called DISK RECOVERY (Or similar), but this does not seem to work?

Thanks

Rich

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Richard,

If you still have the Hard Disk Drive Recovery (HDDR) utility this can be accessed by tapping F10 at system startup (when you see the Sony logo). This should hopefully take you to the recovery utility which will allow you to recover your system to “as delivered” – be aware that the C drive will be formatted so make a backup of any data required……

This LINK is also worth a look.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
celtictricky
Visitor

Rich,

I tried the F10 trick, but no joy, so I assume the HDDR is not in place. Now, there is a geezer on ebay selling a Real set of recovery disks from Sony for the T2XP, would these have everything that the machine shipped with on them?? They look like real Vaio disks?

If not then I would have to purchase a set through Sony - how/where do I do this?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Richard,

To make certain that you no longer have the HDDR utility go to Control panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Disk 0 will shown 2 partitions (C &D) but if the hidden recovery partition is still there you will see a further partition without an allocated drive letter – approx. size 7 GB.

I have no idea as to whether the disks on sale from eBay are kosher but they are possibly illegal. You can contact Sony Support for a legit set at a cost of approx. €70.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
speculatrix
Visitor

BTW, the recovery partition is simply an NTFS partition with a "wrong" tag; if you use a linux live boot disk like Knoppix, you can mount the NTFS partition and explore it!