Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-TX3XP: is it possible to change the HDD to a SSD?

rjstep3
Visitor

VGN-TX3XP: is it possible to change the HDD to a SSD?

This little sub-laptop has a very slow 1.8" Toshiba HDD on an Ultra ATA connection.

Has anyone swapped the HDD for a SSD? What did they use? Does it give enhancements to the performance/battery life (as it should)?

thanks
rjstep3

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
uptoeleven
Visitor

rjstep3 - I know this is an OLD thread but I've done some research as I am looking into this myself.

The drive you buy will need to be:

1.8" - to fit in the case

IDE - because although the 915GMS chipset has SATA capability, the drive chosen by Sony for this laptop is an IDE one, the Toshiba is an IDE drive and you'll need to replace it with an IDE.

ZIF interface - and my initial response was - WTF??? As if having to buy a teeny tiny drive that's IDE isn't hard enough, it also has to have a ribbon connector. What's even crazier is they do exist.

I will have to replace the hard drive on my tx3xp very shortly - it has a long standing fault which meant it was terrible under windows - I'm using xubuntu on it which runs perfectly well but I recently had to copy a very large (16GB) folder between two machines in two different locations and for a variety of reasons it was easier to use the laptop (which I was carrying) than a portable drive (which meant a trip home). There were some minor file corruptions and I think the faulty sector is towards the middle or end of the drive, but it's definitely there. Anyway I want an SSD

So I will be looking for a 1.8", SSD with a ZIF IDE interface. Wish me luck (actually I know they exist too but it means buying from China and brands I don't recognise...)