Join now - be part of our community!

vgn tx3xp vista upgrade

sterobinson
Visitor

vgn tx3xp vista upgrade

Hi all

will be upgrading tomorrow top vista ultimate. run the vista checker on the machine and said I was fine to use business version and if i wanted ultimate.

the downloadable check stated that i wont be able to use finger print recognition after upgrade until i have the driver. is this available yet ?

has anyone else upgraded their TX3XP for Vista ? What have you experienced ? I'm not expecting it to go totally smoothly...

cheers

steve (UK)

25 REPLIES 25
sterobinson
Visitor

You're welcome Steve,

It's probably best to download all the Vista drivers and utilities available for your TX3.. :wink:

ok, downloaded all drivers and utilities.

now on boot up it gives me my vista screen and then after 10 seconds i get the following message;

The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be cmpatible with the computer. click ok (only option) to enter hibernate mode, and remove and reinsert battery.

i have done this and continue to get the same message.

anyone know aht this means ? I wish i'd stuck with XP, weekend has been a disaster !

sterobinson
Visitor

ok, took the power management driver/utility that i installed yesterday and now I dont get the error message atall. all seems to be fine except;

1. Still no ethernet internet access using my isp. I installed my vodafone 3 g card (vista upgrade) and the card works a treat and when i open up internet/email it works ok. But still not managed to get the isp router working with Vista. The router works perfectly fine with my other pc with XP. Can it be the case that some of the routers provided by an ISP (I have a netgear one that was programmed with my isp settings) wont work with Vista ? My ISP technical advisors dont know the answer to this.

2. I still have no function key operations on the TX. Which of the drivers/utilities are available for vista to fix this ? I downloaded and installed all the stuff for the TX on the page that was suggested ? Quick question...if you are installing the drivers/Utilities should you rstart your pc when reccomended and after each install or can you install all, and only rstart the notebook after all the new drivers/utilities are installed ? I did the latter ?

3. Still no luck finding the discs for the notebook. I have looked everywhere. Before I go mad, has anyone else purchased a TX notebook ? did you receive discs with your purchase or was it all installed with nothing provided ? I may be looking for something that actually does not exist ( I have a memory like a sieve so cannot remember what came with the norebook).

4. I have the sony onsite engineer cover purchased. The fact that i have installed vista...does that mean that the vista upgrade wont be covered by this ?

Thanks to anyone that can answr any of these questions ?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Steve.

1. Is your network card recognised in Device Manager as installed correctly? I assume you have set up a local network in Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Connect to a Network?
What firewall are you using and is it blocking your ISP? Have you tried turning it off?

2. I would reboot when asked because the Sony Utilities MUST be installed in the correct order. The Sony Utilities and the Shared Library must be fully installed before the Event Service (which will get the Fn keys working). I would install them all in order and reboot when asked.

3. Your Vaio would not have come with installation discs. The recovery software is held on your hard disc in a hidden partition and you would have been prompted to make a set of discs from 2 DVDs. Have you tried resetting the BIOS defaults and tapping F10 during boot when you first see the Vaio Logo?

Sorry if this sounds basic - we are all learning here. I will be waiting a while for others to find out the pitfalls before I install Vista.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

4. I have the sony onsite engineer cover purchased. The fact that i have installed vista...does that mean that the vista upgrade wont be covered by this ?

I think that the warranty only covers the pre-installed operating system, have you checked the Terms and conditions.. :thinking:

sterobinson
Visitor

I uninstalled the lot, then had another go. I installed Sony Utils DLL first, then sony shared library and then installed the others in no particular order. Was not prompted to restart PC (that was the drivers I installed yesterday), but re-booted and within 20 seconds gor the same error message about the battery not being compatible which we know is not correct. I checked the Function Keys - they were not working, nether were any of the AV buttons. I will try again another day !

Re; the internet. Yes I did all that, infact over 10 times with my ISP Engineer over the phone.They were at a loss !

I'm not desperate for the function keys to work as I tend not use us them and the AV button had been used once since day one. The rest works a treat. Also installed Office 2007 and that works a treat. Infact Vista and Office 97 are very impressive.

Has anyone else tried to install the utilities stuff with no success ?

Many thanks

steve

sterobinson
Visitor

Actually, just read another thread and seems i know where i went wrong with the utilities piece.

The correct way is;
Run the Setting Utility Series
Run the Sony Shared Library
Run the Sony Utils DLL
Run the Sony Video Shared Library (zip file)
Run the VAIO Event Service ---->
Run the VAIO Control Center
Run the VAIO Power Management
Run the Battery Checker
Run the Camera Utility (my camera is installed but I cannot find it... yet)
Run the Wireless Switch Setting Utility (so you can choose to enable/disable bluetooth)

I mixed up Sony Utils DLL and Sony Utilities Series (I assumed the one on the top of the page is the one you have to install first, which according to another thread is incorrect. I'ts too late to do tonight (my mrs has moaned all weekend as i have been obsessed with my computer since Thursday Night !

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

According to the Vista Upgrade site ..

you must first install "Sony Utils Utility", followed by "Sony Shared Library" and then install any remaining utilities.

philfree
Visitor

Don't forget to install original SonyNC and SonyPI drivers which are the same as for XP. Either get thm from your recovery CD or on Vaio Link. When I installed those on my TX3, everything else worked flawlessly

sterobinson
Visitor

Don't forget to install original SonyNC and SonyPI drivers which are the same as for XP. Either get thm from your recovery CD or on Vaio Link. When I installed those on my TX3, everything else worked flawlessly

Thank you. I'm looking for the SonyNC and SonyPI Drivers on the website. Are they in the TX3 Utilities.Zip File on the download link ?

sorry for all the questions - must say you guys have been great to me this weekend. many thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You can download the TX3 XP pre-installed drivers and utilities from here