Join now - be part of our community!

VGX-TP1E remote control problem

richybing
Visitor

VGX-TP1E remote control problem

Hi All,
Just bought a shiny white VAIO media PC (VGX-TP1E). It all worked great out of the box until VAIO update crashed. Vista popped a little box up saying there was a hotfix solution available, so I installed it. Since that point my remote control does absolutely nothing except make the red light flash on the front of the PC. I've installed all VAIO updates and all Vista updates and rebooted LOTS of times - all to no avail. Any ideas would be be most welcome because my wife only let me buy this thing so that she could use it with the tv via the remote, and she's starting to get very angry !!!

5 REPLIES 5
fridge1
Visitor

No answer I'm afraid, but mines just done exactly the same thing. (Both the remote and the wife!!!)

fridge1
Visitor

Not looking good...... Sound like it's an ongoing problem... Found these quotes

Re: Vario TP1E Reply to this Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
I have the same machine, bought over christmas and I suffer the same problem...

I searched the news groups, and some good advice was to switch off your Vaio when the remote starts playing up, physically remove the power cable then put it back in.

This worked for about a month, now the remote doesn't work even after a restart. I will be phoning Sony tommorow for an explaination. I will keep you posted.

[04-Feb-2008 20:56:42] [Link]

ekimeus
VAIO-newbie

Re: Vario TP1E.... UPDATE Reply to this Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi folks, here is my update, I sent the unit back and exchanged it.

The new unit seems ok but I make sure that it is unplugged from the mains when not in use.

I have also found that the inital pages take a time to come up, and if you press the buttons on the remote whilst they are loading the machine gets confused and locks up. I use mine in the living room and I have one of those mains remote switching units that shut down the whole system at the end of the session.

I looked around at other units for the same price and there was nothing that would compare with the spec and price. My Sony friend got intouch and said that "my original unit had a hardware fault" and that I should exchange it.

So my advice is to remove the mains power when not in use. The machine was purchased from PC World who I found most helpful and allowed me to set up and "play" with the second machine for 2 hours in the store before I accepted it.

rkenyon
Visitor

Just to say, I'm having the same problem. My Vaio crashed last night, and the remote does not now work. I used to be able to sort the problem by removing the power cable for a few seconds, but this does not work.

I'm going to take a chance and buy a Windows MCE remote and see if that works with its own IR receiver. They are less than 15 quid, so if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world. It's better than having to put everything back in the box, take it back to the shop and re-install.

rkenyon
Visitor

Just to follow up my previous post.

I bought a Microsoft MCE Remote (£15 from www.microdirect.co.uk), and this seems to work.

Note that the original Sony supplied remote also works with the new IR receiver, so it appears that the problem is within the IR receiver within the unit rather than the remote.

fridge1
Visitor

Firstly: I am a complete novice so don't believe everything you read...

However from what I can suss out, it seems to be a driver problem. Vista automatically updates and this affects the driver (how & why... who knows). It kinda makes sense as by purchasing a new remote would require installing a new driver... problem solved! (Maybe).

Apparently Sony are aware of this and are, in theory, looking into it. Don't hold ya breath!

Why oh why can't everything JUST work?