Join now - be part of our community!

VGX-XL302 Media Centre & SKY HD - How to Best Connect for Best Quality?

iainhalder
Visitor

VGX-XL302 Media Centre & SKY HD - How to Best Connect for Best Quality?

Hi,

I've just joined this forum today.

I own both the Sony BDP-S1E Blue-Ray player and now today the Sony VGX-XL302 Media Player.

I'm a bit miffed though to see that the video inputs on the Media Player are S.VHS Composites!!!!

I have a SKY HD and my intention was to connect the SKY HD box to the XL302 and start using it to save programming from that onto Blue-Ray instead of regular DVD's. I also wanted to be able to edit material, like cleanly removing adverts and so on.

But these low grade inputs are ridiculous and totally defeat the purpose of getting a Media Player with a Blue-ray recorder. I want to be able to get rock solid ace definition onto the blue-ray discs.

Has anybody else here had this problem? What solution would you recommend? I'm willing to purchase any additional accessories and cables to make this work or be referred to any outside technical websites.

I'd appreciate any help from anybody here.

Thank you in advance!!!

Iain Halder

4 REPLIES 4
iainhalder
Visitor

Hi,

I've been doing some research into this problem and it seem SVHS inputs are as good as it can only get in connecting media Players of all types and SKY satellite receivers.

Some people around the internet are coming up with novel solutions and reporting good results. Obviously I have to work within the limits of the SONY Media centre which is an excellent piece of kit as it is already.

I'm dissapointed that Microsoft / Sony / Sky could not have sorted this kind of problem out between them though. Media payers are made to be the centre machine in a complex audio-video setup but are immediately compromised by the lack of high grade inputs.

I'll report back any solutions I come up with but, again, if anybody has any ideas no matter how novel then please let me know. I'm not afraid to open the machine up as I'm already familiar with building computers as a hobby.

Iain Halder

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi iainhalder and welcome.

I don't believe Sky or Sony have any intention of facilitating the transfer (copying) of high definition content from one machine to another. Both would see that as opening the door to high definition piracy.

:slight_frown:

iainhalder
Visitor

Well, yes of course I can understand that in relation to HD.

But I can connect my sky hd or sky + box to a DVD recorder and get excellent recorded pictures onto standard DVD's. I got this media player hoping to take advantage of the Blue-Ray recorder with five times the disc space.

I just don't think a media player should be restricted to SVHS quality and I would expect a lot more from a £1500 device like the XL302.

I'm still struggling to get it to record anything at all from a SKY + box for example.

Iain.H

iainhalder
Visitor

Hi,

Looking at this problem it seems that the best way may be to remove one of the analouge input cards and replace it with the digital PCTV DUAL SAT PRO PCI http://www.pinnaclesys.com

I'm aware this will ony record free-to-air rather than subscription material from the SKY+ box - but is a start in getting improved quality video directly into the XL302 rather than through the SVHS connecters.

The picture coming into the Media Player from the SVHS does look reasonably good already in colour with good sound. However, I want to take this lovely Blue-Ray Media Player as far as I can take it.

I have come across interesting software for manipulating recorded video streams within PC's like getting rid of commercials in archived material from the documentary and wrestling channels. This software is mostly XP rather than VISTA but I have a few computers here so can move stuff around.

THE QUESTIONS ...

Has anybody tried removing one of the analogue cards from SONY Media Players and replacing them with improved digital or direct satellite connecting versions? Anything I should be watching out for?

Are there any recommendations for better PCTV cards than the DUAL SAT PRO?

My e-mail for direct contact is iain_halder@btopenworld.com

Iain Halder