Join now - be part of our community!

Viao freezes on daily basis...

kierhead
New

Viao freezes on daily basis...

I have a SVE171C11M with preinstalled Win8 and Home and Business 2010.  I'm running Kaspersky AV and anti-spyware after deleteing the Macafee completely (uninstall and their removal programme).  

On a daily basis, the computer will lock up, mostly in Outlook, but occasionally in word and excel too.  The Task Manager indicates 100% disk use but not by outlook or the other programmes (I normally cannot swap the view to see what is on 100%).  It also gives average response times of the hard drive of 12K-28K milliseconds, rather than 1-5!   The easilest way to solve it, is to switch off and then switch back on again.  It does occassionally clear itself, but will need 20-30 mins of being left alone.

My email is via a server about 10 miles away from where I normnally work, and the building I'm in does have bandwidth issues.  Is that jamming the system up or is a hard drive issue (clearly I'm leaning towards a hard drive issue, but the problem only seems to occur when I'm in my normal building, not when using outlook at home, via VPN)?     

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.SE.title
inayatnathani
New

Hi, what does sony support say. how old is laptop adn which processer?

kierhead
New

It is about 7 months old with a i7-3632QM quad CPU @ 2.20 Ghz.  Task manager routinely shows the processor to be between 12-20 percent and throttling back to 1.3-1.6 Ghz...

I haven't asked support yet, I thought I'd try here first.  I'm suspecting that the PST file or whatever it is called now (~400Mb) which sits on the server might be the issue?  Outlook wants to keep checking with that file and the bandwidth issues out of the building in the Business Park doesn't like that?

Now sitting 5 metres from the mail server on this building's intranet and the problem hasn't re-occurred.  Been here about 3 hours; we'll see...