Join now - be part of our community!

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

ayu61200
Visitor

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

The subject of this thread says it all.

Sony, where are the drivers? I paid 1700 Euros for my FE11S half a year ago. I think it's more than about time for Sony to release drivers "Vista compatible". Everything works but the power management features, lowering the bright of the screen and so on, among others, is NOT working which means I can't use Vista on batteries properly because the screen's maximum brightness eats the whole battery quickly.

Am I asking too much for a 1700 Euros laptop? Is this the kind of after sales service I can expect from the all mighty Sony? Vista RTM is already shipping, and I'm still waiting for Vista drivers, whilst there's a cute and nice "Windows vista" features icon in the vaio-link.com page. It's even ironic. Starting to feel too much dissapointed about all this...

78 REPLIES 78
ayu61200
Visitor

I think Nico would have told you by now, if any changes had been made.

Exactly.

Nico, thanks for passing by. It's good to know that detail about not being able to sell Vista installed laptops until the end of January.

Having information like this helps to endure the wait for those drivers to be available.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

This is why I am holding out on the IT industry. As Chris De Burgh sang "don't pay the ferryman until he gets you to the other side"

MKayZ
Visitor

Its all well and good that everyone is complaining about no vista drivers, for nice little function keys, but has anyone found drivers for the nvidia go 6xxx? coz you cant find them on the nvidia site.

and the ones that come with vista, they cause a slight mouse freeze, and you cant enable hardware acceration to fix the problem. blah.

is the nvidia go 6xxx card just for vaio? or is it so rare that no one bothers with drivers for it 😞

jaybbb
Visitor

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11928

I am using these one, just download the files and the modded inf, extract, move the modded inf in the folder and install the drivers.
It works for all Nvidia users ...

ayu61200
Visitor

December... and no drivers... I start to think we won't be able to have any Vista support until February or March next year...

:slight_frown:

kee-lo_

You've obviously been ignoring everyone's posts then :laughing:

Bcube
Visitor

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum, but I have bought my VAIO laptop in august 2005.
I wanted to ask two questions:
_first, can anyone explain me why Sony does not provide for up to date drivers ( for example for ATI graphic card) and why when I go on ATI website the catalyst drivers simply refuse to install.

_secondly, with MSDNAA (I'm a student in a French University), I got WIndows Vista Business Edition yesterday and installed it on my VAIO ( a VGN-A417S model ). Almost everything goes well except two things: first the graphic drivers are not from ATI but from Microsoft ( and are not so good) and then, since I installed Vista, only one speaker ( on the two delivered with my VGN-A417S ) seam to work. Has anyone got the same problem.

And I wanted to add, as some did before, that I invested plenty of money ( €2700 ) for this laptop, that represents a lot for a student. I would have expected a more up to date support for it, and not just one year and half old drivers.

Regards,

Ghislain

OzBoz
Visitor

Obviously you didn't read the entire thread but wel.. conclusion I've drawn after replies etc.

• Sony laptops are not for business users, they only wear suits in ads by accident and the email news letter they send me about B2B Vaio use is nonsense
    • Therefor no consumer will have Vista before the last days of Januar
    • If you do have Vista, or a Vista capable laptop you have to wait till Vista is in the stores for consumers
    • Sony doesn't mind you paid a lot for your laptop, you bought it with XP so that should run smoothly

Bit cynical, but that's my conclusion after the thread. My biggest issue is that there must be Vista beta drivers available (or the developers have to work with x-mas) and it's a shame they won't share them with the community without support (that's normal with beta's).

Main conclusion is that Sony thinks Vista ain't there so there are no drivers needed. Already offered them a copy of my CD. It wouldn't be that bad if it worked besides some minor details but brightness at 100% all of the time is not minor, bad for battery life, bad for my eyes :slight_smile:

ayu61200
Visitor

• Sony doesn't mind you paid a lot for your laptop, you bought it with XP so that should run smoothly

Exactly. That's why, at least with me, Sony lost a future consumer. I will choose other brands for future laptops. Period. I guess they don't care a shit about it anyway.

kee-lo_

Sony have no concept of OpenSource.

Thye need to be more helpful