Join now - be part of our community!

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

ayu61200
Visitor

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

The subject of this thread says it all.

Sony, where are the drivers? I paid 1700 Euros for my FE11S half a year ago. I think it's more than about time for Sony to release drivers "Vista compatible". Everything works but the power management features, lowering the bright of the screen and so on, among others, is NOT working which means I can't use Vista on batteries properly because the screen's maximum brightness eats the whole battery quickly.

Am I asking too much for a 1700 Euros laptop? Is this the kind of after sales service I can expect from the all mighty Sony? Vista RTM is already shipping, and I'm still waiting for Vista drivers, whilst there's a cute and nice "Windows vista" features icon in the vaio-link.com page. It's even ironic. Starting to feel too much dissapointed about all this...

78 REPLIES 78
OzBoz
Visitor

Exactly. That's why, at least with me, Sony lost a future consumer. I will choose other brands for future laptops. Period. I guess they don't care a shit about it anyway.

You know my oppinion. I've to say there are more brands that handle customers that way. I once paid about 500 euro for a Matrox G400 Marvel. Came out when Win98SE was the basic operating system. Win2000 got launched (first stable OS) but they just refused to create drivers. And look what happened to Matrox. It's just so important to listen you your customers especially in times with forums like these. I can't say I won't buy Sony anymore (like the brand and Bravia commercials). But I will warn when somebody I know wanted to buy a Vaio laptop.

Positive point, I really like the way Sony delivers their updates using a few clicks. Well, the XP drivers :tongue:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The thing that makes me laugh is the amount of product placement it got on the new 007! It's crazy. They need to be on the pulse, imagine if Bond said "oh forget that, it's too new for me, we'll wait until they get fully armoured and we can't tackle them"

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Hi all,

Just a small update from my side. I have had an internal meeting about Vista support yesterday and I have re-escalated the fact of the support drivers not being available for download. The Support group promised me a complete plan with deadlines this week so I hope to be able to provide you with some good news later this week.

Have a great week-end.

KR,
Nico

Yet again, broken promises. With all the screw ups by Sony, PS3 delays, exploding batteries, Walkman Connect and Sonicstage mess, you really think they would get rid of these muppets "in charge", and replace them with some people who know the meaning of customer support...

Frankly, Sony support, is the worst in the buisness.. Excellent hardware, but I am seriously thinking about sacrificing my love of Sony hardware, because of the rest of the crap..

kee-lo_

Like Apple :cool: Now they're cool

wheresmybeaver
Visitor

This is how it looks to me: Vista will be available to consumers by around February, and Sony will make the drivers available at the same time. Seems fair!

I know that there are lots of people installing Vista already, either using business licences or temporary beta licences, but the bottom line really is: Sony don't sell Vista-equipped Vaios yet, so they can't really be expected to support Vista until they do. Let's not forget that all the drivers and utilities for the Vaio range have to be rewritten and tested thoroughly. And its probably better to have stable drivers released in a few months time rather than unleashing untested ones earlier on, potentially damaging computers.

So lets have a little patience and wait for the Vista party; it's less than 2 months away :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thank you!!

Please God can we put this to bed. :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

This is how it looks to me: Vista will be available to consumers by around February, and Sony will make the drivers available at the same time. Seems fair!

I know that there are lots of people installing Vista already, either using business licences or temporary beta licences, but the bottom line really is: Sony don't sell Vista-equipped Vaios yet, so they can't really be expected to support Vista until they do. Let's not forget that all the drivers and utilities for the Vaio range have to be rewritten and tested thoroughly. And its probably better to have stable drivers released in a few months time rather than unleashing untested ones earlier on, potentially damaging computers.

So lets have a little patience and wait for the Vista party; it's less than 2 months away :smileygrin:

Vista RTM is available to many people, via many Microsoft programs, I have access to it via MSDN.

I can understand your comments, if when Sony do release the drivers, they are fault free. However, Sony NEVER release bug-free drivers, which makes matter worse, release them NOW, let us feed back issues, so when Feb arrives, Sony are ready to go.

Why annoy your customers, AND lose out on free beta feedback, it simply does not make sense. Toshiba have the right idea, and I am certainly going to be considering them next time I purchase laptops for work, Vaio has been a very bad mistake for us....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Please God can we put this to bed.

Here Here Jumpy!!!

We have to accept that these drivers WILL NOT be available until Vista's release date. Likelyhood is they are not even developed yet!!

:sleeping:

Migs
Visitor

Vista RTM is available to many people, via many Microsoft programs, I have access to it via MSDN.

I can understand your comments, if when Sony do release the drivers, they are fault free. However, Sony NEVER release bug-free drivers, which makes matter worse, release them NOW, let us feed back issues, so when Feb arrives, Sony are ready to go.

Why annoy your customers, AND lose out on free beta feedback, it simply does not make sense. Toshiba have the right idea, and I am certainly going to be considering them next time I purchase laptops for work, Vaio has been a very bad mistake for us....

I totaly agree! But taking in mind that Sony is already a lazy driver updater, i don't see any reason that sony wil release it's Vista drivers when it will be released. It's a fact that for my VGN-FE11M there are still no updated drivers for my WiFi. Having in mind that there is a severe security issue with the 9.x drivers, I think sony should be ashamed.

I have bought my last piece of Sony hardware for life. I am fed up with the lousy and lazy user support. Once sony has your money they don't give any sh*t anymore. Personaly i am saving my money for an apple or toshiba notebook in the future.

kee-lo_

I agree with Jumpsuit and Blencogo, let this rest, you're annoying us and yourselves - mithering about this isn't going to make Sony jump up and say wow those poor techs lets help them.