Join now - be part of our community!

Vista to 7 Upgrade Issues

profile.country.en_GB.title
lucy.nuttall
Visitor

Vista to 7 Upgrade Issues

Please help!...damsel in distress here!

Recently bought a VAIO VGC-LV1S of a friend. I installed a clean copy of windows 7 onto it as i have done with many computers in the past however they've all been Dell.

I now realised that the Sony site only offers updates of drivers and not the original softwares etc that come with the computer.

Loads of things are now not working on the computer such as Blueray player, webcam, remote control and probably numerous other things that i've not uncovered yet!

She cant find the drivers disc that origionally came with the comp and now im stuck with how to get all these things working.

If anyone can help you'll have a friend for life =D XX

Message was edited by: lucy.nuttall

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Lucy,

The reason these original programs are not available for download is because the software providers will only license the use of their software as part of the Sony packaged Operating System.  So WinDVD BD and other programs can only be installed with a full reinstallation of the Sony OS.

You have 3 options: -

1.  Just download all the Drivers and Utilities which should give you a working system, and purchase replacements for WinDVD, Arcsoft Webacam Companion etc.  Some replacements may be obtainable as freeware.  Not all the drivers and Utilities required are listed under the Windows 7 downloads - where no new updates are available for Windows 7, you will need to install the original Vista ones.

2.  Reinstall Vista from the hidden Recovery Partition (as long as you have not formatted it!!) and then UPGRADE to Windows 7.  An Upgrade in Place will retain all the existing software.  To see if this is possible, tap F10 repeatedly during the boot process - when you see the first Vaio logo.

3.  Purchase a set of Recovery Discs from Vaio Support and then UPGRADE as in 2.

If your friend finds the Recovery Discs it will still not allow you to install this software on Windows 7 as it recognises this is not the oiriginal software..  You can only install it with the original Vista install and then upgrade.

Sorry there is no easy answer.

:slight_frown: