Join now - be part of our community!

Volume buttons on PCG-GRT916V

Nicola75
Visitor

Volume buttons on PCG-GRT916V

The volume buttons "-" and "+" below the keyboard on my VAIO Notebook (PCG-GRT916V) don't work, they do not control the volume at all.
Does anyone know the solution for this problem?
Thank very much in advance who can help me.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nicola75 and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried holding down these buttons, until a change in volume happens, as opposed to just pressing them once?
If that doesn't work then you should find a file named utils.exe in C:\utils - try running this.
Finally, if both of the above fail to produce a result then you need to carry out a system restore using your restore disks:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Nicola75
Visitor

Thank you Rich for your advices...I'd like to ask you if I run the file C:/Utils will I restore all the previous settings I changed from when I bought the notebook (I do not want it happens)? I did not have any resut holding pressed the buttons as you suggested...
Thank you once more in advance
Nicola

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I'd like to ask you if I run the file C:/Utils will I restore all the previous settings I changed from when I bought the notebook...

This depends on what changes you have made since receiving the notebook. Utils.exe will only restore the notebook utilities whereas a system restore, using the recovery disks or partition, will complete format the C drive and return it to 'as delivered'.
Before running Utils.exe you could always create a system restore point just incase of any unexpected changes.
If you ever find it necessary to carry out a system recovery make sure that you move any data files that you need to keep over to the D drive.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
zina
Visitor

what about holding down the fn button while pressing down the volume button to?

or doesnt your notebook have a fn button,i dont know

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Put a shortcut to C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe in your startup folder then restart the computer.

Nicola75
Visitor

Thank you all for the advices...
x zina: Holding down the 'fn' button I did not manage to control nor the volume (F4 button) neither the on/off speakers (F3 button)...the 'fn' button works only with F5, F7and F12...
x Rob: your advice seems not to work...
x Rich: as a last chance I think I will try the restore method...

Thanks everybody
Nicola
Parma, Italy

robpaxton
Explorer

HKserv.exe definately controls the volume buttons. Try navigating to the file then double click it to run it.

See if the volume control now works. If it does then there is a problem with the shortcut that you have put into the startup folder. If it doesn't then go to Vaio-Link and download the Sony Shared Libraries and Sony Utilities packages and install them in that order.

Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have just checked on Vaio-link and it seems that this is one of the models without a Shared Libraries download :thinking:
Why are there so many varying configurations for different models? I can only assume that Utils.exe encompasses this, but I may be wrong.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
robpaxton
Explorer

You are right Rich. I've just checked my GRT and it only has the Sony Utilities package. It has a seperate installer for the Hotkey utility however.

I should've checked first :wink: