Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEB4B4E laptop very slow & intermittently freezes

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

VPCEB4B4E laptop very slow & intermittently freezes

Have a Vaio EB4BE running Win7 and i3 processor, recently been running slow so reinstalled software from recovery partition and still very slow, ocasionally freezes, takes ages to load any software up from disc, and generally appears to be very slow for an i3 processor

Def not a virus since did fresh reinstall of operating system and problem still persists

Can anyone suggest where I could look to troubleshoot issue?

My initial thought are may a hard drive with bad sectors thats causing it to stall etc

Memory seems fine but havent physically checked by trying another pair of memory modules

Any assistance is welcome

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well if you have reinatalled the operating system it does cut down what would have been a very long list to check.

Slow loading from disc could be caused by: -

1. Anti-Virus Internet Security products like Norton that have an active checking of opening software mode enabled.

2. Hard Drive running in PIO Mode rather than Ultra DMA - check the settings in Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> Primary IDE Channel -> Advanced Settings

3. Badly Fragmented Hard Disc or Many Bad Sectors.  Run CHKDSK and DEFRAG.

4. Windows Indexing Services

Just a few ideas for you to check - perhaps others may have some more suggestions.

Have you tried it after a System Recovery and before you add any software?

Also 'Perceptions' of what is slow can change over time!!!

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well if you have reinatalled the operating system it does cut down what would have been a very long list to check.

Slow loading from disc could be caused by: -

1. Anti-Virus Internet Security products like Norton that have an active checking of opening software mode enabled.

2. Hard Drive running in PIO Mode rather than Ultra DMA - check the settings in Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> Primary IDE Channel -> Advanced Settings

3. Badly Fragmented Hard Disc or Many Bad Sectors.  Run CHKDSK and DEFRAG.

4. Windows Indexing Services

Just a few ideas for you to check - perhaps others may have some more suggestions.

Have you tried it after a System Recovery and before you add any software?

Also 'Perceptions' of what is slow can change over time!!!

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

Just finished replacing the hard drive with another from same model laptop and works fine. Also tried running the "faulty" hard drive on the other laptop and I encountered same problem so leads me to conclude faulty hard drive and i only purchased laptop in Dec2010!

Will order another better make Western Digital have always worked well for me to replace the 320gb Toshiba MK3265GSX that came with my Sony

Will update once my new hard drive from Dabs arrives - got very good price on it as well £33 incl delivery

Thanks for the advice Blencogo