Join now - be part of our community!

vpcf12z1e overheating problems

profile.country.hu_HU.title
tokyo87
Visitor

vpcf12z1e overheating problems

I have a vpcf12z1e vaio, bought about a year and 8 months ago. I really liked it, until approximately half a year a go, when its fan started to become very noise. At first I didn't even notice that it was louder, but about for about 2-3 months ago it started to sound like a a 747 jumbo fighting a turbulence. I can hear it through two closed doors in the place I live now!

But I could live with that. Until the laptop started turning off. At first I thought it was because of a game I was playing (in the beginning it only occured when I played with it), but then it quickly became obvious that it can happen any random time.

It took me quite long to realise that this is most likely because of dust gathered in the fan, which makes my baby overheat itself. So I took some screwdrivers to start and take it apart. The problem is now, that after an hour of trying I still haven't managed to remove anything else other than the cover above the hdd and the memory. It's freakishly impossible to take the back off!!!

Can someone tell me how should I do it or offer some other solution on how to clean the fan? I can't enjoy any movie now because of the noise and I can't play with most of my games cause the heat seems to degrade the performance of my laptop, and also shut it down regurarly!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.ru_RU.title
alexrz
Contributor

Hi Tokyo87

Maybe It's better visit repairer to clean the fan system:smileyhappy:. The problem isn't only how to "take the back off", usually you need to to take keyboard off to get the fan but I personally cannot help you here, and what is more you'll need to change thermopaste too...

Good luck

Alex

Message was edited by: alexrz

profile.country.hu_HU.title
tokyo87
Visitor

I know I need thermopaster if I'm removing the coolant :slight_smile: I'm not an expert but I have been putting together my own PCs since I was 14. Still, it might be better to visit a repairer, but the problem is, that right now I'm in Russia and I won't be back in my home country for the next month. And I know there are repairers here too, I just wouldnt feel comfortable them handling my laptop.

profile.country.ru_RU.title
alexrz
Contributor

Hi Tokyo87

Welcome to Russia! Actually I'm Russian and live in the country... you can try to find some suggestions in youtube, or you can call  8-800 700 0939 (free of charge) to Vaio Support to ask for the closest repair center. If you stay in a big city like Moscow you won't have a problem otherwise you can give me the name of the city and I will find for you the Vaio authorized repair center.

Good Luck

Alex

Message was edited by: alexrz

profile.country.en_GB.title
KatherineYH
Visitor

Try to go to the Sony Vaio web site & check "Help & Support"

they might have "A Fix" for over heated problem and you can contact

someone who might have the same problem you have.

- Check the cooling system .

- Check if you have a virus that's using too much resources

like "Explorer.exe" ........Google it to find out if it belongs to

Internet Explorer or a virus ?

for more information http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111118074111AAtje6Q

Life is too serious to be taken seriously https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/text-smiley.png

profile.country.fr_BE.title
PiouStarcraft
Visitor

hey,

I have the same laptop and exactly the same problems.

When i got it 2 years ago, it started reallyquickly, didn't have to wait. Now it takes a while to start.

I also noticed the fan system making A LOT of noise ! Your 747 description is accurate, i can hear my Vaio's fan across my house and that's really unbareable !

About 1 months ago it started to crash randomly. Now it's up to the point that i can't even run the game "startcraft 2" for 10 minutes.

I got the computer the day the game went out. I could play it in 1080p with high quality and having 30fps all along.

Now, when i'm in 720p with low quality, i have barely 15 fps...

So yeah, if you and i have the exact same problem, i don't think it's a virus or anything like that but more like a default in the building of the laptop !

profile.country.en_GB.title
Elm1234
Visitor

Hey,

I have recently taken one of these for work.

The cleaning bit is best done with airduster. It will clear out the vains and help with the cooling. http://cpc.farnell.com/chemtronics/es162oe/ultra-jet-all-way-air-duster/dp/SA00889 you can get really cheap versions but they tend to be a but underpowered.

I have noticed the fans going mad on min in the last week or so. It seems like there is an issue with the power socket. Try (carefully) pulling the power out and checking how hot the cable and socket is (laptop end). Mine is so hot it burns. I unplug the power and the fan slows within minutes. I can jiggle the cable around and find a decent point but I have to check it often. I'm guessing there is a dry joint where the power socket is soldered onto the motherboard but I have not had time to strip it down yet.

In my many IT years, I can put sony vaio down as the worst latop to strip down. They have twice as many screws as other major brands!

Hope this helps

SImon