Join now - be part of our community!

VPCSA2Z9E SSD PROBLEM!

profile.country.ro_RO.title
paffypower
Visitor

VPCSA2Z9E SSD PROBLEM!

It`s 21 March still no refund.

===============================================================================

My laptop broke again the 5-th time at the end of February, this time was not SSD related it was not starting at all. I sent it back to Sony and they promised me I will get full refund. I will get my money back in 10 days. My advice for you guys is to ask for refund.

Best wished for everyone hope all your laptops will be repaired or get your money back.

===============================================================================

Hello to all.

Here is my story, if anyone has the same problems please contact me:

I bought the laptop 2 months ago, It`s a I7 processor and 256 SSD, 8GB RAM. In the first week I got the laptop the 3G modem stopped working, after another week my screen was freezing all the time, I had no choice to shut it down from power button after waiting for an hour, after that I got this error before boot stating : Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM - 10.1.0.1008 ... RAID Volumes: and I have 4 devices 59.6GB and the first one on status is Error Occurred(0).

I sent the laptop to Sony Repair Center in Germany by UPS, after a week I got the laptop back 3G is not working, and after a few days I used the laptop I got again the SSD failure error. I sent again the laptop to Sony Service Repair, I even sent an email to Service Repair Center in Germany and this is the response I got from them:

Dear Mr. Popa,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please note that I will follow up with the repair center personally, and I will make sure that all your issues will be rectified. Also, I have prioritized your repair order to have it first served.

Kindly be informed that I will be in contact with you after receiving the unit back from the Repair center.

Your faithfully,

Radwan, on behalf of Mizuno (-san)

I received the laptop on Friday 9 Dec, 2011,the first thing I did was to check if 3G was working(I was so glad it was working!!!), I connected the laptop to the internet windows started to make some updates and the screen is freezing again after 30 minutes of using it. And now again I have the : Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM - 10.1.0.1008 ... RAID Volumes: and I have 4 devices 59.6GB and the first one on status is Error Occurred(0).

I got the laptop 2 months ago,since then 2 weeks was in the Sony Repair Center, another 2 weeks waiting for UPS and with the laptop at home not working, I spent on it more than 2000 Euros I lost my files first time the SSD bricked. I don`t know what to do anymore should I send it back to Repair Center? If anyone has a solution or can give any advice on this matter I am open to any suggestions.

Thank You

Message was edited by: paffypower

Message was edited by: paffypower

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.fr_FR.title
CHR_CHR
Visitor

Wow hello guys,

I just received my new vaio VPC-SA3C5E and i have a similar problem.

Needless to say, i am returning it to sony based on your story.

I think i will buy a similar model without SSD, do you think it's a good choice ? (buying vaio)

GL guys

paffypower
Visitor

profile.country.fr_BE.title
deSelliers
Visitor

Following my post on Feb 18, 2012, I brought my VAIO back to my computer shop on Sat 18 Feb, asking them to send it back to SONY.

I also sent a mail to SONY Customer Satisfaction Europe explaining my recurring problem and asking for an exchange.

Then I left for a week holiday - without a laptop, so it was a GREAT holiday!

When I returned on Monday 27 Feb, my computer shop told me that they had solved the problem by re-plugging the SSD tape. And indeed, my VAIO works again - although I have to fully reinstall it (3 to 5 days work).

SONY left a voicemail on my mobile a week ago, then no news.

So I sent them a second email yesterday. And they phoned me back today, saying that they had sold several hundred similar models with SSDs and had only a small number of problems with them, so they have so far no reason to believe that there is a design flaw - although they recognize that their SSD technology is new and may still be more fragile.

They suggest that I reinstall my laptop, while promising that if I had another similar problem, they would consider an exchange. Which I accepted.

And I am now reinstalling my laptop while keeping my fingers crossed!

I wish y'all success with your own problem.

Of course, I'll keep you posted if my problem happens again...

profile.country.pl_PL.title
pos-----
Visitor

Hi Guys,

I got my VAIO back last week. This time they replaced the SSD.

I reinstalled everything over the weekend and it seems that the laptop is working fine. But this is just the same like after two previous repairs - everything worked like a charm for a month or so, and then crash. So let's see how long it will stay good this time. I'm pretty sure it will break down againg, it's a matter of time.

Additionally, in apology for all those inconvenience they extended my warranty by 3 months.

Good luck for all of you guys. Hope Sony will sort all our problems out.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Pawel

profile.country.fr_BE.title
deSelliers
Visitor

My VAIO laptop failed  again yesterday, for the 3rd time with the same problem: only two of the four SSDs appearing at  boot.

This time, I smartly  decided not to restart window after the failure and brought my laptop directly  to my computer shop.

The technician opened  it in front of me and I was able to see that the tape connecting the SSDs was  again improperly plugged in on one place, although he had previously secured the connection with insulating tape.

I was also able to  notice that this problem is due to two design or manufacturing  flaws:

1. The SSD tape is not straight. This  means that there is a constant force tending to disconnect it sideways on one connector.
  2. The metal lid above the SSD has a  foam rubber pad stuck atop of the tape, which exerts pressure on the tape, increasing to force toward disconnection.
    We removed this pad, hoping it may alleviate the  problem.

Thanks to the fact I  didn’t restart window after the failure, Windows restarted well after the  repair, so I didn’t loose any data and can resume using my  laptop.

However, I gathered  excellent reasons to believe that there are indeed two design/manufacturing  flaws - as explained above.

Although flaw #2 is  probably fixed, flaw #1 (SSD tape position/design) is still present, so I have  good reasons to be fearful of a new failure.

I sent an email to Sony support and expect they will come back to me with a suitable solution.

I'll keep y'all informed...

paffypower
Visitor

My laptop broke again the 5-th time last week, this time was not SSD related it was not starting at all. I sent it back to Sony and they promised me I will get full refund. I will get my money back in 10 days. My advice for you guys is to ask for refund.

Best wished for everyone hope all your laptops will be repaired or get your money back.

profile.country.uk_UA.title
lfy123
Visitor

You are very luck!!!!!!!!!Because I can tell you which ssd is suitable 。

For example. This 512GB is fit for VPCZ21 Series,like VPCZ21 VPCZ217 VPCZ215 --- and so on , and it fit for SA SB series too,like VPCSA28GG VPCSB1AFJ --- and so on,if your laptop ssd is MZRPA256HMDR or MZRPA128HMCD-000S0 ,you can buy it to replace

But But But ,if you laptop is VPCZ11 Series,you Cannot buy it,because the interface and size is different,you can buy 2 pcs 256GB SSD to make 512GB RAID0 ,Fastest or buy 2pcs 128GB to   make up 256GB SSD,like The  SSD  model  is  MMDPE56GQDXP-MVB    MMCRE28GQDXP-MVB

if you have other question welcome to contact me

Hope my reply can help you

Message was edited by: lfy123

Message was edited by: lfy123

paffypower
Visitor

It`s 21 March still no refund.