Join now - be part of our community!

VPCZ13M9E/B sim card slot

profile.country.en_GB.title
mebucha
Visitor

VPCZ13M9E/B sim card slot

Just bought above Vaio laptop with WWAN integrated SIM card slot for travelling. Problem is non of the mobile providers I spoke to seems to be aware of this new technology; all they keep on mentioning are their USB mobile broadband sticks (which of course don't work abroad)... My questions:

• Can I use any provider SIM card (or are rumours right that it only works with T-mobile as software pre-installed). I am UK based.
  • I want to use WWAN when abroad and when no WIFI/LAN connection is available (I do go to very out-of-the-way places...) What sort of SIM do I need (I suddenly realised their seem to be various kinds)? Regular mobile SIM, international SIM or data or...?

If you are already working with this laptop and using SIM card would appreciate any sharing of info, experience etc.

THANK YOU!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I presume you have looked at your User Guide Page 71: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Notebooks/VPCZ13/Z13_H_EN.pdf

Quite a few laptops have a dedicated WWAN slot so I am surprised providers are unaware of this.  In practice all you do is to get a USB Data Stick from your provider and take the SIM out of it and put it in your Vaio.  This is quite useful as you can use it with the USB Stick on other PCs.  Only a Data SIM will work.

As far as I know, the connection manager is generic software.

Data roaming abroad is horrifically expensive but you should talk to a provider about what is available.  I don't know if an International Data SIM is available.  Most people do not use WWAN abroad because of the cost.  I'm sure providers are working on co-operation with other providers abroad to try to lower the costs.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
dameyer11
Visitor

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/

is a useful resource for finding cheap prepaid sim cards for use abroad.