Join now - be part of our community!

What hard drives can be used in a sony vaio VGN-FW51

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
prentle
Visitor

What hard drives can be used in a sony vaio VGN-FW51

Hi there,

Sadly last night my hard drive went to the big scrap heap in the sky. Basically when I boot up the laptop, it gets as far as the 'loading windows' screen and the system locks. The hard drive lights stays on permanently.

I have tried both windows and Vaio recovery options but both fail to recognise that the hard drive exists any more. All I can see when viewing devices is a C: drive with about 90mb capacity. When I try to access 😧 drive from the command prompt the hard drive light stays on and again the system locks up.

I know it is a 2.5" seagate momentus in there but can I replace it with any other 2.5" drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brrobin19
Explorer

Hi,

Any standard 2.5 hard disk is satisfactory, mine also failed after 4years of heavy use. The standard hard disc

was a 500Gb but I got a 750GB seagate momentus which was the original one, it cost me £48 and it is

7200 rpm rather than the 5800rpm. it certainly is much faster but is no noisier than the original.

It is quite easy to fit, but I hope you created a system image disc so that you can replace all your original files.

you need a set of standard instrument screwdrivers because the screws in the hard disk carrier are pretty small

and it's handy magnetising them or stick some beeswax on the end of the srewdriver, it helps when you have to

put it back. With a 750GB hard disk I partitioned it in three separate volumes but leave plenty of room on your C

disc because it holds the recovery partition. Good Luck, it is not difficult, there are 2 different lengths of screws

so take note of which ones are put back in the right place.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
brrobin19
Explorer

Hi,

Any standard 2.5 hard disk is satisfactory, mine also failed after 4years of heavy use. The standard hard disc

was a 500Gb but I got a 750GB seagate momentus which was the original one, it cost me £48 and it is

7200 rpm rather than the 5800rpm. it certainly is much faster but is no noisier than the original.

It is quite easy to fit, but I hope you created a system image disc so that you can replace all your original files.

you need a set of standard instrument screwdrivers because the screws in the hard disk carrier are pretty small

and it's handy magnetising them or stick some beeswax on the end of the srewdriver, it helps when you have to

put it back. With a 750GB hard disk I partitioned it in three separate volumes but leave plenty of room on your C

disc because it holds the recovery partition. Good Luck, it is not difficult, there are 2 different lengths of screws

so take note of which ones are put back in the right place.

george88
New

Hi ,

Can anyone help me with a similar question :slight_smile:  What hard drive can I buy for a Sony Vaio SVE151E11M ?

Thank you so much :slight_smile: