Join now - be part of our community!

WHAT!? I bought an AR11S before 26th October and cannot get Vista upgrade?

emitrom
Visitor

Please tell me I am wrong!

I would expect from June this year not from only 1 month ago!

And if you are supporting the AR21S why not the AR11S which has only been out 2 months longer? And do we get sent the driver disc or do we have to order it?

If this is true; this is way out of line Sony. :cry:

12 REPLIES 12
Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Hi

Welcome to the forum

You'll be able to download the drivers from Vaio-Link when Vista goes live to the public.

Edit to add: Not sure about your machine though.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

The Vista upgrade is a Microsoft initiative isn't it? It was started to try to avoid the potential downturn in PC sales (and therefore os sales) because of people waiting for Microsofts new o/s.

AFAIK, all manufacturers have the same cutoff date for the offer (if they are participating).

I would expect that the driver updates for the 11S will be in the first or second wave of releases - was the 11S sold as Vista compatible/capable?

apierc1
Visitor

Nah, better off without it :slight_smile:

emitrom
Visitor

The Vista upgrade is a Microsoft initiative isn't it?  It was started to try to avoid the potential downturn in PC sales (and therefore os sales) because of people waiting for Microsofts new o/s.

AFAIK, all manufacturers have the same cutoff date for the offer (if they are participating).

I would expect that the driver updates for the 11S will be in the first or second wave of releases - was the 11S sold as Vista compatible/capable?

Yes it was sold a capable with a sticker on it.

My main annoyane is that Sony are offering the upgrade on the AR21S and say drivers will be available when the mahcine I bought is only 2 months older ( barely ). Which is absolutely mad.

As far as I can tell the 21S only difference is a faster processor and more memory. THe rest of the spec is exactly the same.

emitrom
Visitor

Hi

Welcome to the forum

You'll be able to download the drivers from Vaio-Link when Vista goes live to the public.

Edit to add: Not sure about your machine though.

Thanks and hello!

As per my previous reply, as a driver DVD is going to be available for the 21S it should work with the 11S as its the same hardware apart from memory and processor.

emitrom
Visitor

Nah, better off without it   :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Possibly, but it would have been nice to have the choice on a laptop that is only 2-3 months old! :cry:

robpaxton
Explorer

There is a good chance that the drivers for the 21S will work with the 11S anyway . . . .

kee-lo_

As Rob has correctly pointed out, this isn't Sony's fault, if you want to have a go at someone have a go at MS (why not they deserve a good moan), not Sony.

Also TR pointed out the new drivers and utilities will be online - that's right, but not until the official release of Microsoft Windows Vista.

apierc1
Visitor

Microsoft dropped a lot of the advanced stuff from Vista as it was causing continual delays, I advised my mum to wait for a new PC until after 2006 as last I heard Vista should be standard OS for new Systems some time in January, but I wouldn't bother upgrading to Vista from XP, computers general lifespan is too short, although you can upgrade desktops but I'm not sure it would be worth it..