Join now - be part of our community!

Where is screen latch/magnet located? Vaio VGN-AW112 / PCG-8131M

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
ARPCPRO
Explorer

Where is screen latch/magnet located? Vaio VGN-AW112 / PCG-8131M

I have a Vaio AW112 with a 18.4 inch screen that is black. The backlight only turns on for a second showing the Vaio logo and then only turns on for another second if I close it and open it.

So I need to know where the screen lid magnet is located to put it in place or bypass it somehow.

If there is any cable that I can cut to make the laptop think that the screen lid is always open, that would also do the trick.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ARPCPRO,

The lid magnet on the AW series is in the top screen surround approx. 120mm in from the left hand edge. You can use a paper clip to accurately locate it. The switch will be in a corresponding position in the palm rest (when the screen is closed.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ARPCPRO,

If you can see a faint image then I don’t think that this is a lid switch problem. I have just tried applying a magnet below the touchpad on my AW11Z (with setting for closing lid to ‘do nothing’). Screen turns off and there is no faint image – the screen turns off completely. You could also try applying a magnet to the area of the switch (with lid open) to see whether the faint image goes.

I suggest that you attach an external monitor and set the computer to ‘Sleep’ when lid is closed. Then close the lid and see whether it does sleep. If it does this will confirm the mechanical part of the switch is working and point towards a problem with the inverter/ cabling to the inverter.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ARPCPRO,

The lid magnet on the AW series is in the top screen surround approx. 120mm in from the left hand edge. You can use a paper clip to accurately locate it. The switch will be in a corresponding position in the palm rest (when the screen is closed.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
ARPCPRO
Explorer

Thank you very much rich912. It is exactly on that spot and the clip gets atracted easily.

Anyone knows exactly with part number/component this magnet activates? Is it "SONY VGN-AW Touchpad Button Board SWX-299 1P-1086101-80"?

I need to replace whatever this magnet activates because the screen gets black right after I open the display.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ARPCPRO,

I don’t know the answer to that question but it would seem logical that the switch is on that board given the position of the magnet and proximity to the touchpad when the lid is closed. Have you thought of asking that question to one of the eBay sellers?

If your settings are to ‘Sleep’ when the lid is closed have you checked that this happens? This would at least tell you that the mechanical side of the switch is working and may therefore point to a different problem – e.g. cabling to switch or possibly the inverter? To check for inverter problems shine a torch on the LCD to see whether you can see a feint image. Incidentally, have you tried attaching an external monitor?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
ARPCPRO
Explorer

I will try to ask ebay sellers but I'm not expecting much from that investigation.

I think the problem is settings independent because the same behaviour happens while on the BIOS.

The laptop works connected to an external screen. I always see a faint image, it is just the LCD backlight that turns off.

My feeling tells me it must be one of these:

1 - Board/daughterboard with the magnetswitch (not the magnet on the display that is strong. I've tried with a stronger magnet near the touchpad and activates the screen)

2 - some bent display cable (they seem fine and I've touch then with the laptop pwered on but none of them turned on the screen)

3 - Inverter (is able to turn on the screen for 1 to 4 seconds and it turns off).

This is a photo of SWX-299 touchpad board that I suspect contains the magnetswitch since is the nearest to the top cover:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ARPCPRO,

If you can see a faint image then I don’t think that this is a lid switch problem. I have just tried applying a magnet below the touchpad on my AW11Z (with setting for closing lid to ‘do nothing’). Screen turns off and there is no faint image – the screen turns off completely. You could also try applying a magnet to the area of the switch (with lid open) to see whether the faint image goes.

I suggest that you attach an external monitor and set the computer to ‘Sleep’ when lid is closed. Then close the lid and see whether it does sleep. If it does this will confirm the mechanical part of the switch is working and point towards a problem with the inverter/ cabling to the inverter.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
ARPCPRO
Explorer

It is strange that your Vaio behaves like that. In mine I always have a faint image, even when I put a magnet near the touchpad with the display open (I checked in Windows and BIOS).

My settings are also configured to "Do nothing" when closing the laptop lid.

If I had to guess I would point to the backlight inverter. The magnetswitch seems fine because it turns on the screen. It is probably not a cable because I can turn the backlight ON for a second while the lid is open just by using the magnet.

I made a video of the symptoms and tests: http://youtu.be/r7RfIplezuE

Thanks for all your help in troubleshooting this. Unfortunately the owner needs the laptop back tomorrow so I wont have time to order the inverter and replace it.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome ARPCPRO. Your recording certainly does indicate a backlight inverter problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat