Join now - be part of our community!

Which Notebook?

Exinferis
Visitor

Which Notebook?

Mods: If this should be in "Want to buy..." please move it!

Thought I'd post in here as I already have a Vaio Desktop and I figure anyone in the know would be hanging out here! :smileygrin:

So, I'm looking for a small notebook for business use. Needs to be Wi-Fi enabled and have a fairly long battery life for those times of hanging out in Starbucks! :laughing: In a meeting, of course!

Anyway, I've been looking at a Samsung Q30 as I already have a Q10, but was also looking at these two Vaios from Misco: TX1XP and T2XP. I don't know which is older, I only know which is cheaper!

Basicly, I was hoping that anyone who owns one of either model could give me some idea of their experience with their notebook. What's the weight like, battery life, usability, longevity etc.

Or, if anyone can recommend a similar model, I'd be happy to look at specs. Just needs the above to be useful to me.

Thanks all!

Ex.

5 REPLIES 5
Exinferis
Visitor

No one have either of these machines? :thinking:

C'mon guys, thought you'd all jump at the chance to rave about your Vaio!

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

No, idea. I can only say a high capacity battery is not a bad idea if you want use your VAIO in Starbucks, LOL. And they aren't cheap.

BTW: One time if have seen in a Café a few shields. no laptops:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Some here have had noisy fans with the TX1 but overall it seems a great laptop but look into it more.

S.E.M.
Visitor

Hi,

I have been reluctant to answer your question as my english is not that good, but you really should get some information.

I have the TX1XP which is newer than the T2X. Sony already announced the follow-up model TX2..., so maybe you should wait for this one.

I personally like the TX1XP very much, it has long battery life, a bright and sharp screen and is very small and lightweight. So it offers what I asked for. And the performance seems to be better than I assumed.

There are some problems you might be interested to hear, but don't take them too seriously as some of them are maybe my fault and it is always easier to write about the bad things:

The fan is a bit louder than the one in my VGN-A117S, and it's always running or constantly turning on and off. But it's not too bad.

The keyboard is very good for fast writing, but a possibility to turn off the touch pad really is missing. I can't hold my hands in normal position without accidentally clicking the keys! Look at the position of these keys and you will understand my problem. But this may be the case with all small notebooks.

There is some light bleeding on bottom of the screen where the control panel is situated. This is a commonly known problem with this notebook.

The screen is really very thin:
It's not easy to open the notebook without bending the screen.
When my desk is vibrating a small area on the screen starts vibrating too. I can see this only on the wallpaper not in any application with text so there is no light problem.

Some "personal" problems that I do not have with my other notebook:
I can't use the sync software to synchronize my mobile phone; the software says that it is not there despite the fact that all drivers (3 or 4) are installed correctly.
I can't use my 3G PCMICA card the way i like it. My internet provider tried to solve this problem and now I can connect to the internet, so this is not the known hardware problem that is reported for many of the TX1 and should be solved meanwhile, but the software that belongs to the card does not work with it and there are other problems too.
Now I use my mobile phone for internet connection and my other computer for address synchronization, so I found a solution working for me.
I do not have problems connecting and synchronizing other devices via bluetooth or USB connected (Palm, MP3 device, another computer).

Exinferis
Visitor

Hi S.E.M,

Thanks for your information; I found it very helpful and your English seems fine to me! In fact, it's somewhat better than most English-speaking users on other forums! :laughing:

I might take your advice and wait and see what the T2X offers. I'm not desperate for a notebook just yet, but wanted to have a look around and see what people think of certain models in advance so I can then make an informed decision when the time comes!

Cheers!