Join now - be part of our community!

Why do ALL MP3 players have so many faults?

profile.country.de_DE.title
thwi
Visitor

Why do ALL MP3 players have so many faults?

Hi,
recently I was wondering why basically EVERY MP3 player which is current available has lots of flaws and faults. I´ve scrolled through various forums from Apple, iriver, iAudio, Sony (of course) - it´s always the same. The devices keep crashing, they freeze, they simply die after a short time, the harddisks make strange noises, files don´t sound right....the list seems to be endless.
I would assume that devices which aren´t the cheapest toys should be manufactured more carefully. Looking back at the "good old days" analogue devices like the original Walkman worked for ages.
Maybe it´s the price for digital technology that almost nothing works completely right.
In the end there is one "good" thing about it: For every complaint about the Vaio Pocket you´ll find at least the same amount of complaints for iPods, iRivers, etc.
Amazing - but this can´t be right.....or am I expecting too much?
Opinions are appreciated 🙂
Cheers,
Thomas

16 REPLIES 16
seb21__
Visitor

Mmmh, seems that Flash players in things like these are much better.
But the price per MegaByte is much more expensive too.:smileysad:

Akanksha
Visitor

I think the problem is that this is the initial stage of development and right now each of these companies are at format war to establish monopoly so all the R&D is not focussed on providing a reliable player rather its on competing on the features!

And in the whole process, they are producing masses of these unfinished products!

I do expect them to get better by the end of the year when the market will be settled and then I will buy one myself! :tongue:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Everyone is in a hurry to release products these days, as Akanksha said they don't test them throughly, which is a real shame. They expect the users to give them feedback so they can fix it in the next firmware.

Touch wood iPod has been pretty plain sailing for me

robpaxton
Explorer

Never had any problems with my iPod Photo . . . . yet . . . . . Although I did turn myself deaf in one ear due to over enthusiastic insertion (the left ear) of my nice Shure E3C headphones - which I can highly recommend once you get the fit right.

seb21__
Visitor

LOL, for nearly 9 years ago I have payed that price fo my HD565 Ovation.

kee-lo_

Yeah very nice earphones.

Rob: not got the car kit?

robpaxton
Explorer

Rob: not got the car kit?

I ran out of money when I bought the iPod photo & the phones :cry:

Seb - I'm still use my HD565 Ovations now and then but the Shures stop just about all background noise and have much better channel definition. It's a bit like having the sound directly injected into your brain.

seb21__
Visitor

My HD565 is broken. 8 years usage was too much.:smileyrolling_eyes:
I have bought the HD570 which has sounds a bit more powerful. But I miss some details.:smileyrolling_eyes:

I think not that was my last Sennheiser.

If I get the feeling I need a new one then I will upgrate to the HD650.:smileycool:
(cost a small fortune but that should be ok:smileycool: )

robpaxton
Explorer

If I was buying new open headphones then Sennheiser would probably be my first choice too.