Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 in a virtual box - need to access 'Locked' Bios settings

Windows 10 in a virtual box - need to access 'Locked' Bios settings

Is there any way to convince Sony to let us have access to the locked bios settings on OUR computers? Obviously this would require a new flash file.

With the tech preview of Windows 10 out, I would rather test it out in a virtual environment than upgrading to it.

Unfortunately I fear that a positive reply to this post may be too late, as the ISO is on my desktop... winking at me! :slight_smile:

4 REPLIES 4

I knew it! I eventually gave in and took the gamble!

I initially 'upgraded' from 8.1 but what booted up was vertually no change. However when I decided not to be lazy, I did a clean install from USB. All seems working well, just getting used to the new menu.. plus everything looks better with a clean install.

I am glad my laptop has a touchscreen as for some reason W10 didn't recognised my mouse even with the drivers installed!? I just pulled it out and put it in another port and it was as happy as larry. My mouse was always a bit quirky (loosing conecion every now and then) but now it seems quite happy.

Overall a good first impresssion. :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kriptikchicken 

Hi there

Question for you, if you can?  Have you tried using mirrorcast (screen mirroring) functions using Windows 8.1 in vitrualbox or is it physically impossible (display adaptor and network adaptor)?

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Access to the locked BIOS settings on a Vaio is never going to happen but it is promising to know you were able to complete a clean install.

It would be handy to know what Vaio model you have though?

"It would be handy to know what Vaio model you have though?"

SVF1521A2E - also it may be noted that after updating the drivers with VAIO update, 3, 3rd party programs found a further 24 (!!!) updated drivers!

Oh and the driver software for the Synaptics touchpad were updated to the latest version, along with the 'DELL' control panel, allowing access to turning off and on all the individual functions!

Thanks for that DELL! :wink: