Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 on SVZ13

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

Windows 10 on SVZ13

Anyone upgraded their SVZ13 to Windows 10 yet? Specifically interested to hear how anyone with the PMD got on with drivers doing an upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 and clean installs.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

In case anyone else is interested, I took the plunge and installed Windows 10 on my Z13 at the weekend. Now, I previously had Windows 8.1 Pro which was a clean install (not an upgrade from the Windows 7 that came with the laptop). 

Generally, things seem fine but there are a few things worth mentioning:

* I did the upgrade with the PMD attached, but with nothing connected to the PMD - no displays, USB devices or even ethernet.

* The laptop was connected to my home Wi-Fi throughout the upgrade

* I used the multi-version Windows 10 ISO from MSDN so if you are doing it using the retail media or the USB Tool download from Microsoft, your milage may vary.

Initally a few things didn't get picked up in device manager. These included the finger print reader (but that wasn't installed for me in Windows 8.1 anyway so wasn't too fussed) and the GPU's. In fact, both GPU's were detected but were just using basic Windows drivers. At this point I was just using the laptop's display so couldn't say if an external monitor would have worked or not. I installed the driver available from the support page (EP0000298256) and this seemed to fix both the AMD 6700 and Intel HD 4000 missing driver issues.

Plugging everything back in to my corporate network this morning was pretty painless too - ethernet and all USB devices connected to the PMD are working fine, as are both external displays. Will continue to monitor things and will post again if anything creeps up. 

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Thanks for the info!

I also took the plunge with my S15 (VPC-SE) and it works fine! Only thing is indeed the fingerprint reader, same as under win 8.1, but I won't be installing it either as I find it annoying. :tongue:

A friend of mine also did the upgrade on his Vaio E-series, without problems. So far, so good.

Expert

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

(Although I've had some minor hiccups on a non-vaio I'll post in the Windows 10 thread.)

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

So a couple of days in and the one thing I'm noticing is that I'm having trouble undocking the PMD. The button on the connector seems to do nothing so to disconnect, I have to shut down the laptop then pull the power cable from the PMD.

I suspect there's a driver issue somewhere that is not letting the PCI-E bus be hotswappable - everything looks good in device manager so not sure what it might be. I have had other docking issues with Windows 8.1 (mostly to do with the USB host not starting up when docking) so not sure if it's just a driver issue or something specifically related to Windows 10.

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

Another quick update. I managed to undock successfully yesterday by ejecting the docking station from the USB device menu in the system tray so it might just be the button on the connector that's misbehaving.