Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8.1 - couple of issues after update

takrzem

Windows 8.1 - couple of issues after update

Hello All,

I have updated my VAIO Fit Red 15 (SVF15A1C5ER) to Win 8.1 immediately on the first day of its availability and have noticed couple of unresolved issues since then relating most likely to device drivers (issued by SONY).

Although I've found some of them were mentioned in other threads, have decided to collate them here. I'll be glad to receive comments and resolutions.

1. Graphics driver (INTEL) - hardware acceleration whilst watching FLASH clips (Youtube for instance) no longer supported, resulting with three quarters of green screen whilst previewing in full screen mode. Disabling hardware acceleration temporary resolves the issue, however side effects are choppy playout and increased CPU usage leading to fan noise.

2. VAIO Power management (?) - after computer goes to sleep (lid closed) I am unable to adjust screen brightness anymore. Issue temporary fixed by using hint from another thread (deleting sony_acpi_battery_input.dll from VAIO CARE folder) - but not sure what other side effects are involved as this is not elegant fix.

3. NFC proximity device apparently does not seem to be working at all - sensor under trackpad does not seem to discover my phone anymore - it had prior to upgrade - although it is shown as installed correctly in Device Manager.

I've had an issue with iTunes crashing upon launch, that I originally related to the graphic driver issue, however have found resolution by another unelegant fix (copying QTMovieWin.dll to another folder). Worth mentioning though in case someone else encounter this problem.

On the positive side I can confirm that laptop seem to be connected to WiFi much more stabler that it used to in the past regardless of the status of Bluetooth connection.

Otherwise laptop seem to be fine and apart from intrinsic and omnipotent noise from fan (can't get used to it, had virtually silent Apple Powerbook before!) performs great.

SONY, please comment and advise how and when the above issues are to be resolved.

Thanks,

Tad

5 REPLIES 5
takrzem

I reply to myself :slight_smile: as no one has followed this up. I trust someone can find it useful / helpful though

Since the below e-mail there has been an updated NFC driver issued by Intel / SONY - after it's been deployed on my machine this functionality got back to normal.

No update to the other two points though: Point 2 being botched (so no issue, but it woudl be nice to have it done in proper way), point 1 still awaits further update. I have discovered few days ago that updated graphics driver (Intel 4000) have just been issued by Intel (10.18.10.3345, as opposed to currently installed 10.18.10.3304) - so there's hope that below issues are fixed. However when I try to deploy it on my laptop I get the message that driver must be issued by vendor (=SONY) so I guess verification is still in progress.

Otherwise machine is great!

takrzem

Another update to myself - perhaps someone will find it useful?

As there has been virtually no reaction from SONY (although someone HAS indeed followed this subject up, however no tangible result in place yet) and additionally prompted by rather unexpected set of visible nasty artifacts whilst watching DVDs when video hardware acceleration was enabled, I have eventually hedged my bets and installed aforementioned Intel driver (ver. 3354) manually by unpacking downloaded installation file using WinRAR and choosing manual Driver Update in Device Manager.

I am happy to report that all problems relating to graphics disappeared - I therefore strongly recommend either other users having similar issues to do the same and/or SONY to validate this as official driver and issue on their support pages promptly.

Happy New Year everyone!

Just for noting...  mine is SVF1521V1EB

I had the same issue, customer service , official SONY forums ad all I didn't have an answer at all!

So far updating to the latest driver from INTEL fixed it Brilliantly... no brightess isues at all...

I understand that sony sold the VAIO to some Japanes investor, but heyy, leaving virtually NO SUPPORT for an entire PREMIUM brand is quiet a bad thing.... or am I wrong?

BlueTrin
Explorer

I really like the laptop but I am afraid I will have to return it, the support seems to be weak now.

I agree, the Windows 8 upgrade is a mess (and that's before I get on to the software itself). The first time I tried it the computer crashed permently requiring a complete reinstall and this time it has worked but the sound is so quiet I can barely hear it. The instructions on the website for upgrading drivers are not clear at all - what they should provide is a program that completes the upgrade and makes sure everything is working properly.