Join now - be part of our community!

windows hard drive consistency check

reaper
Visitor

windows hard drive consistency check

hi

i installed a new hard drive a couple of days ago and now every time i start my computer windows checks my ( D drive which is a partition and is also on the hard drive that came with my pc

can someone tell me why it would be asking to do it everytime i start my pc

7 REPLIES 7
leven
Visitor

Hi,

If it is chkdsk you are meaning
Here's how to stop it starting up every time you reboot, or boot.
Go to "Start" "Run" type in "msconfig" without the quotes. When window opens select on first tab "General" select "normal Startup" Click apply and OK
If you continue to have the problem with CHKDSK then from a command prompt window (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) run the following command:
CHKNTFS /D
This should restore CHKDSK behaviour to its default/normal behaviour (regardless of whether your drives are fat or ntfs).

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Oooh I love it when Elaine talks techie :tongue:

reaper
Visitor

thanks for all your help elaine :smileygrin:
i have another little problem

i have three hard drives installed on my vaio
the two drives that are installed on the primary eide channel
say ultra dma mode 5 (channel that system is came installed on)

and on my secondary channel i have dvd rw drive and a hard drive both of which are saying ultra dma mode 2
i was told that if i seen this appear i might have to buy a new hard drive ???????????????????
this has now seriously confused me because the drive that has been added to the primary channel is the exact same model make ect

:thinking:
regards ben

kee-lo_

Normally no, you change the DMA modes in device manager.

reaper
Visitor

hi kee-lo
it is set to auto detect and it says dma mode two for both device 0 and device 1
i need the hard drive to be saying dma mode 5 i know it can because i have the exact same drive on my primary dma channel and that is showing up as ultra dma mode 5

reaper
Visitor

it was the wire everything is sweet now

kee-lo_

it was the wire everything is sweet now

Great