Join now - be part of our community!

WIndows Re-installation issues...

mrgame_cat
Visitor

WIndows Re-installation issues...

Hi guys...

Due to ever increasing problems with Direct X 9.0 and Service Pack 2 I have decided to reinstall Windows XP Home onto my FR415B Vaio.

The reason I am going to use Home is that I tried to install XP Pro on it when I first got it and the drivers for Function Keys etc would not work...

My question is... If I format and reinstall will I be able to download all the drivers for the hardware (ie the screen, pointing device, function keys etc)

I have lost the original recovery disk and will be reinstalling windows using a seperate copy...

Please help me!!1

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Well since this has apparantly turned into a Sony-bashing site (I didn't do it!) 

LMAO - Me and Kee-Lo should share equal responsibility on that Tyger! Mind you if they got their act together then they would deserve praise where praise was due. The tumbleweed is growing by the day... and so is the frustration of the customers and users of Sony.

no less than a few hundred pounds cheaper in Spain than over here

WTF?! Are Sony trying to drive themselves out of business?!:smileylaugh: They are expensive enough on SonyStyle - but this is just incredible!

mrgame_cat
Visitor

Well you will all be pleased to know I have solved the problem.

Full re install followed by SP2 install before I touched anything else...

Sorted.

Hopefully

TygerTyger
Visitor

Glad to know that Mr_cat. Guess that's a way to reinstall Directx.

I've done a fair bit of Sony bashing myself......in fact quite a lot. Maybe before you arrived James. Anyway that quote was a bit of a typo - I meant Sony-bashing thread not site lol.

mrgame_cat
Visitor

Yeah, I reinstalled it with my F-ing boot. LOL.

I have one more question...

I downloaded the original drivers pack and installed the...

Video drivers
Modem drivers
etc.

Included in this pack are a couple of folders named Sony NC, LCD etc. these dont appear to have any exe files in, rather just some files that don't do anything when double clicked. They look like system files or something. Sorry to be thick! I obviously need to install these, but don't know how... Any suggestions?

Also, the pack didn't include the FN key drivers. Where can I find these?

Thanks guys!

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Do they look like a piece of paper with a cog across them by any chance? These are INF (information) files for your hardware.

Easy Installation
1. Right click the file (suppose its called SVNLCD.INF).
2. Click INSTALL
3. Reboot your PC

Harder Installation
1. Click START
2. Click RUN
3. Type in the following:

CONTROL.EXE SYSDM.CPL

If this doesn't work, press + +

4. Click the HARDWARE tab
5. Click the DEVICE MANAGER button.
6. Locate the device you wish to reinstall - in our case the LCD driver.
7. Click Monitors (an example you understand), and double-click the listed device.
8. Click the DRIVERS tab
9. Click the UPDATE DRIVER button.
10. On Service Pack 2 installations Windows will ask you to connect to Windows Update. Click "No, Not this Time" On all other versions skip to step 11.
11. Click Next
12. Click "Install from a Specific Location". Click Next
13. Click "Don't Search: I will choose the Driver to install" Click Next
14. Type the path to your drivers so in this example the path is this:

C:\Drivers\LCD_Inf\SVNLCD.INF

15. Click Next and follow the rest of the instructions shown on the screen.

Remember that this is an example on how to install the Sony Notebook LCD device from an INF file. This can easily be applied to any other hardware.

Generally if the device is working then don't bother with the INF files unless you ascertain you absolutely have to install the original driver(s).

mrgame_cat
Visitor

You are all legends! Thanks so much guys. No doubt I will be back again shortly to ask for more help.

Hopefully one day I will be able to help somebody else!

Owen

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LMAO - Me and Kee-Lo should share equal responsibility on that Tyger! Mind you if they got their act together then they would deserve praise where praise was due. The tumbleweed is growing by the day... and so is the frustration of the customers and users of Sony.

James is right on this one, if they did what they were achieving to do we wouldn't "diss" them now.

There's more tumbleweed James....

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

James is right on this one, if they did what they were achieving to do we wouldn't "diss" them now.

OMG "diss" takes me back years LOL. Innit.

You have a valid point there mate, if Sony tried to help us out with a better forum, and general support, then messages like "Your Websupport is Pretty Bad" would become a thing of the past.

Why do I get the feeling that Sony doesnt seem to care? IF they do then they have a funny way of showing it - don't you think?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I don't know James, everything was pretty cool back in the PHPBB days, less moaning, less complaints, people had esupport issues and that was it.

Now there's forum issues, graphic drivers problems, countless DVD issues, this sucks thats sucks etc....

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I don't know James, everything was pretty cool back in the PHPBB days, less moaning, less complaints, people had esupport issues and that was it.

Sounds like heaven on earth! Sony you CAN DO IT - please make the upgrades needed to make us all happy bunnies once more! Please?:smileypraying:

BTW: Sony - I will NOT give up on this one.:smileylaugh: :cool: