Join now - be part of our community!

Windows Vista Beta 2 on Vaio

wheresmybeaver
Visitor

Windows Vista Beta 2 on Vaio

Hi guys

Just wondering if anybody has any experience in using Vista Beta 2 on their Vaio laptop. I installed build 5384 on my A217M a while back (after making a disc image of my original setup of course) and played around with it for a weekend, with the intention of testing out Visual Studio and my usual programs on this new Vista platform. I installed the Vaio utilities designed for XP. Problem is, Vaio-specific features still won't work in Vista: hardware buttons (volume, eject etc), the memory stick slot, etc.

Most disappointingly, however, is that the power saving features do not work either: CPU and fan control, sleep / hibernate, power saving profiles etc. So, the CPU gets pretty hot (and the fans get noisy as a result), sleep / hibernation causes a blue screen of death, and the display brightness cannot be controlled.

Anybody know if there are any workarounds, or any Vista-compatible drivers / utilities available? or even in the pipeline? I'll be setting up a dual boot for the new 5456 build, so I can use both XP and Vista when I need to.

Other than these problems, Vista looks good, runs nicely and is easy to use on my Vaio. But of course I'm back to my original XP setup... :heart_eyes:

4 REPLIES 4
HateBreeder
Visitor

I have installed vista beta 2 on my vgn-fs285m!
I think you should not install any beta editions on your laptop!
Vista are really heavy for notebooks......and i had many dricers problems!

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Vista are really heavy for notebooks

Because of little graphic power or lack of needed features. (Pixel Shader 2.0, 256MB of Ram, etc)

Nearly all current VAIOs doesn't support Vista in AQUA look.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

6GB install is silly too

tugaybahar
Visitor

I have installed Vista Beta2 on my VGN-FS 285 M too....everthing is ok. but I have only problem with my GeForce Graphics card.Beacuse windows vista wants more powerfull graphics card.When I opened settings for graphic card...I saw this line"Memory 32MB" but my geforce 6200 (128 mb) go is using shared memory,so it uses extra memory when it workings with games etc.But windows vista can't perceive.:smileynot_talking:
:smileyflag:
Now I'm using original Windows XP VAIO ...More fast,More easy to use! :tongue: